Kansas Trip 2008

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I went to Kansas with one of my co-workers (Tim, he's from Hayes, Kansas) this last week (Thurs-Sun). WOW, what a place for game, Whitetail, Muleys, Pheasants, Doves, Wood Ducks, Blue-Winged Teal, Honkers, and lots of turkeys. Despite rain, heavy winds, snow, and sleet we got our birds. It was Tim's 1st turkey hunt and 1st turkey. Both birds were taken on friday and the only day that it didn't rain. Tried to get another Turkey Tag, but you can't buy one and use it for 24 hours, so I passed since we were leaving Sunday morning. Beautiful country and great folks. I even won a great print at the Pheasants Forever banquet saturday night......Looking forward to going back next year.

P.S.
My bird was 23.2 lbs, 10" beard, & 1" spurs. Tim's was 19.6 lbs, 8" beard, 1" spurs...........

Attachments

Tominator

Reaction score
Congrats to Tim on his first
Sprig my man, your bird is an absolute hawg!!!!

JNDEER

Reaction score
awesome...congrats...they do have lots of birds there and some monster whitetails...

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Sprig,

Are those Merriams? Great birds and you probably added another turkey hunter into the flock..

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Awesome birds Steve.
Them redleg turkeys are sure pretty. We were next door in MO freezin our jibs off too. About 2900 turkey birds got laid to rest in the MO Youth Hunt the past weekend. No injuries reported yet thank goodness. It's looking a lot better than the low kill predicted because of the late snow/sleet storm.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shovelerslayer @ Apr 15 2008, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sprig,

Are those Merriams? Great birds and you probably added another turkey hunter into the flock..[/b]
According to the Kansas media guide the turkeys in our area are Rios. Tim's bird had much lighter feathers (tail tips), and looks very Merriam-like.

Attachments

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Thats why I asked! The state has both, and the picture made it look like they had cream colored tips. Either way they are both great birds.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom