Kawasaki Prairie 300

Wild Turk

Reaction score
My brakes were squeeking so I took them in to the dealer. He said that the brakes had gotten wet and had rusted. They needed to be replaced. This was very expensive. He also said this was common with duck hunters...he sees it all the time. I didnt remember submerging the rig past the brakes, but I did do a little riding in the snow.

He told me that to prevent this from happening again, I should open up the drain plug after going out and maybe spray some compressed air in from above to push water out. I didnt realize the brakes were that prone to freezing up.

Has anyone heard of this??? If so does the advice on preventing it make sense? I dont want to pay all that $$ again.

Thanks

Wild Turk

GM4X

Reaction score
Can't say that I'm all that famaliar with ATV's, but have done alot of mechanic work on my own vehicles.

I couldn't tell from your post if the rusting is on the external brake parts themselves (caliper, rotor, pads) or is inside (master cylinders, caliper) and mixing with the fluid? I'm guessing the fluid, or what plug you could use to drain moisture.

If it's in the fluid, maybe someone here has had some experience with flushing their old fluid & going to a silicone fluid? I've used it on cars (those with 4-wheel disc brakes).....has a higher boiling point, which I believe helps with moisture prevention.

Good luck!

Hunter29

Reaction score
His braking components are encased in a housing from what it sounds like. If moisture gets in, it may not be able to get out, and it is very likely to encounter what he did.

Brad

Reaction score
I have a '99 grizzley,and had the rear brake(drum) freeze up . The cause was going through water and then leaving it with the parking brake on.
Best advice is to ride your brakes just before parking ATV .This will help dry out brakes. Also, if it is safe, leave parking brake off when ATV is not in use for extended time. Also, treat your ATV like your friend, cleaning after use will add years to the life of the machine.

Wild Turk

Reaction score
Brad-

Thank you for the info. I did leave the parking brake on when I stored it when it froze up. I wont do that next time.

Wild Turk

Latest Posts

Top Bottom