KB Gear Jamcam 3

LaBUBA

Reaction score
Has any one modified?
KB Gear JamCam 3.0 Digital Camera (w/ flash, USB port)
Amazon.com has then for  $49.99 with a manufacturer's mail-in rebate of $30.00.
$19.99   (some used price: $39.99) accessories, SanDisk 32 MB MultiMedia Memory Card  (no card reader, has to be used in camera)
$20. Bucks and no film and developing. Can be view and downloaded on a laptop in the field, or swap with another camera, Keep the good pics, erase the rest.
Save on floppy, email to hunting partners and print pics.
No date time stamp, but a cheap waterestent wristwatch, stuck on a stick inview and in focus in one the corners would solve that.

JamCam's 2MB of internal memory
On the R2 (640 x 480, higher resolution) setting, the camera's internal memory can store 8 images.
On the R1 (320 x 240, lower resolution) setting, the camera's internal memory can store 28 images.
For the JamCam 3.0, the MultiMediaCard can be used in capacities ranging from 2 to 16MB. A 16 MB card, for instance, would give you capacity for 61 additional high-res photos or 207 additional low-res photos.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi LaBUBA,
Well, you might check out Brians previous posts and circuits to get an idea of what's involved in hacking a digital cam.
>>>>
Some things to consider -
Battery consumption??
Functional temp range??
Flash range and cams focusing distance??

To get the time from the watch to be readable in the pic, the watch would have to be REALLY close to the cam and would take up a considerable portion of the frame - might also throw off any auto-focusing the cam does.

640x480 isn't exactly "high" resolution - 320x240 is going to be nearly useless.

I've heard some rather dismal reports on the "Game-Vu" digital trail-cams.  Seems that the pics are horrible - the thing can only focus to ~10 feet or so on a good day - and batt life is only about 2 days.  I'm guessing this cheap digital cam would suffer from the same problems.

>>>>
For 20 bucks it might make a good trial run before hacking a good digital cam - get all the bugs worked out without the risk of frying a $400 camera!

Archilochus

<<<<<<<<EDIT>>>>>>>>>
Might want to read this thread about the cam from rec.photo.digital (Google link)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&...c.photo.digital

A.

(Edited by Archilochus at 9:55 am on Nov. 5, 2001)

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
LaBUBA,

Arch is right unless there is something I do not know about the camera.

640x480 is the minimum I would use for pictures and after using the ones I have I plan on probably selling them and buying higher res ones in the future.  You just lose to much detail with the lower res. cameras and you find yourself disappointed.  The flash distance on most of these lower res. cameras is about 3 to 9ft.  I had to add an extended flash unit to help compensate for low flash and the ISO 100 rating.  The pictures now at about 6 to 8 steps are passable.  I used the AOL photocam on some of mine.  I do not recommend this camera though because it has many many quirks to overcome.  Such as time/date, power up time changes, flash is weak, low res. pictures(ok but not good) and it is a power hog.

My suggestion to everyone wanting to try a digital camera is spend the extra money.  You will not be disappointed once the pictures are taken.  If it makes you feel better run the numbers on film developing.  You will be amazed!

Brian

troll

Reaction score
Brian,

Does the extra money you spend on a good digital camera make up for the film processing costs you get from a film camera?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Troll,

Lets see.

Normal camera around $50.  

Digital Camera $400. Extra electronics about $15.  Will need two Compact Flash cards and two batteries to make sure the camera has power and memory all the time.  This way you do not have to take cam out of the woods. Cost $200.  Could vary depending on batteries used and compact flash memory size.

Total for camera system extras around $615.

Film : 400 speed 24 exposure 3 rolls. Around $8.00 not counting tax.

If you take one roll of pictures a week from one deer camera then your cost for film will be approximately $3.00 with tax a week.  This would be $12.00 a month on one camera film only.  Now you will need to develop this film.  This will cost with tax if all 24 pictures are taken about $6.25 at walmart.  Now multiple this by four.  This comes to about $25 dollars a month.  Total would be $37.00 a month for one camera including film and developing.  Now most of you have more than one camera.  Multiple this by the number of cameras you have.  I will use two since most of you have at least two cameras.  2x37 = $74 a month.
Obviously, you can adjust the numbers for your situation.
I believe this is a good estimation.
Let's say you only run your camera during hunting season and at least one month prior.
Sept.,Oct.,Nov.,Dec. = 4 months

$74 X 4 = $296 a year.

This does not even take in consideration the batteries used.   The canon elph s100 has a rechargeable battery that if you calculate the life would last 30 years if you charge it once a month.
I believe once a month would be a good estimation since you would likely have two batteries that you would swap out and one battery according to the specs can take 274 pictures not counting flash.

Digital camera $615. No additional cost basically ever.  Not to mention being able to see your pictures real time as you hunt.  Pictures with nothing in them for some reason are easily erased and never thought of again.  I had a place for example in a clear cut that I had to put the camera on a pine tree even tried the stakes.  The camera would take a hundred pictures of nothing during the heat of the day but I always got pictures of deer every night.  A normal 35mm would have never made it.  The heat was too much to keep it from false triggering.

Normal camera cost per two around $300 a hunting season.  If you only use it during those four months at one roll a week per camera.  I have been through one roll every two days before.

In this situation the camera would pay for itself in two years.  Keep in mind that this is probably far from how much it actually costs you.  It would probably be significantly more than this example.  Try and keep up with it one year and see.  I spent $300 dollars one year on film and developing in one month.  Digital for me was the only way to go.

I hope this helps.  This is just one example I am sure most of you can figure this out yourself but I thought I would put some average numbers together for everyone.

Brian

LaBUBA

Reaction score
Archilochus
We live 60 miles from a Wallmart, I am 3 miles from our lease and have to wait 2 hours or more for 1 hour photo at wallmart. That a half day for me!
I have a laptop w/usb port, printer, internet and email. With a digital camera I could be looking at pictures, printing and emailing them in 15 minutes.
Kids have Coolcam CP075 digital camera by Timlex,
$30 at Eckards, 320X240 resolution, 66 pixels/inch, It takes beter than the picture at the top of this page.
Need a how to map inside these low priced digital cameras.

Top Bottom