kelpfish

rlwright

Reaction score
Anybody ever eat any kelpfish? How would you rate them compared with Halibut, sand Bass, perch, mackerel, or sculpin?

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
If you mean kelp greenling they are excellent white meated fish and they filet out better than lings and rockfish although smaller.

d trees

Reaction score
I have been told they taste like Iodine and you shouldnt eat them , Im not sure if they eat the kelp and thats why they taste that way or not but be careful,d

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Although I have no first hand experience eating them I worked on local boats for many years and I had the same understanding as dtrees.  We threw them back due to the iodine rumor.  I'd be curious to know if it is true.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
I heard the same as d trees.  I've also heard them called "mother-in-law" fish because they're ugly and leave a bad taste in your mouth.  

Regards,
Paul

d trees

Reaction score
HAHAHAHA nice one paul !!!!!
maybe we should start a thread with fish that have AKA's
here's one Tree fish no not named after me AKA tammy faye baker bass or convict bass has a terrible gaudy lip stick mouth or stripes like a prison uniform,d

rlwright

Reaction score
That's what I figured, since they're easy to catch. They even look toxic

Mojave

Reaction score
The iodine flavor is a hit-and-miss local phenonemon, and not just isolated to "kelpfish". I've eaten a number of shore fish that had the iodine character, especially partial vegetarians, like Opaleye. At other times, the same types of fish tasted fine. Halibut is always a treat. Sand Bass is fairly mild, but tastes like "bass" - kind of dirty or grassy. Perch tastes sweet and delicate, but is small, and full of fine bones. Mackerel to me, is a "giveaway" or "throwback" fish. They put up a fine fight off a pier at night, but are not worth transporting. The name "Sculpin", I always associate with the little brown Sand Sculpins you catch in bays - bigmouth baitstealers. Cabazon on the other hand, caught off the rocks near places like Point Vincente, are to me the finest flavored fish that can be taken off the beach in california. The worst tasting shore fish I ever cooked was a Garibaldi - the California state saltwater fish. I know - I know - they are protected. I caught and cooked one when I was a kid, and had no idea what the heck it was. My dad wasn't an outdoorsman, so no guidance there. I can offer this advice if you are ever starving, and Garibaldi are available: Cook up some sand crabs or sea slugs instead. They will be much more enjoyable. BTW: Will be fishing off Santa Monica Pier/beach Sat. morning.

Top Bottom