spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Kentucky hunter showing off enormous deer, discovers it is an elk

Source: AP

Published: 11-29-01 Author: ROGER ALFORD

JACKSON, Ky. (AP) --

Randolph Scott Stidham was so proud of shooting an enormous deer he drove it around town in the back of his pickup to show it off to friends.

They broke the bad news: He had actually bagged one of 1,300 protected elk that wildlife officials have been trying to restore to the state's Appalachian mountains.

Now Stidham, 38, faces more than $8,000 in fines and up to a year in jail.

"Anyone who mistakenly shoots an elk is an idiot," said Roy Grimes, deputy state fish and wildlife commissioner. "If a person cannot tell the difference between an elk and a deer, they should get rid of their firearms."

Elk can weigh as much as 800 pounds; the antlers alone can weigh 50 pounds and extend 6 feet. Deer are about a quarter of the size.

"It's like comparing a tractor-trailer to a pickup truck," said conservation officer Jamon Halvaksz.

Stidham pleaded innocent this week to charges of possessing an elk. He and his attorney had no comment.

Prosecutor Hershel Branson said Stidham turned himself in as soon as he realized the error. "Obviously, he's guilty of it, but you
have to look at intent," Branson said.

================================================================================
=========

Gaul-lee Vern, would ya look at the size of the hams on that deer.

The title of this article should read, "Baffoon with just enough jack to buy a hunting license, illegally shoots an elk" and leave out the hunter part.

A hunter knows his quarry and target or he doesn't pull the trigger.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I gota say what an idiot.You gota laugh at this guy, makes you wonder if this was his first time hunting or if he had done this before
Makes me think of the sticker I had on one of my old trucks " I hate stupid people":shoot-aqua:

Thonzberry

Reaction score
You know? You might be a Red Neck if you drive around in your pickup truck with an Elk and call it a Deer.  Here's your sign!!!:::toothless:

gizz

Reaction score
Was he serious about showing off his "whitetail"? I'm finding this all too hard to believe. Doesn't reading stuff like this make you ask yourself if it's even safe to be in the woods? What an idiot!

StringShooter

Reaction score
There are a bunch of fools that shoot at deer when they jump from a bed, and that’s bad enough. No telling actually what they are shooting at.

But to shoot an elk and not know the difference...now that’s scary!

cchristokillerZ

Reaction score
If you ask me that guy is an idiot and he deserves whats coming to him.

I couldn't possibly understamd how you could mix up a deer and a elk.

Fubar

Reaction score
I can believe this story. 35 years ago I went deer hunting with my Dad and Uncles to Blanding Utah. While we were there, about every 15 minutes they would come on the local radio station and warn everyone to watch out for the elk they had recently planted in the mountains there. A few days later we were in town eating at a diner when a guy came in and was telling everyone to come out and look in his truck at the biggest deer he had ever seen. You guessed it. He had one of the Elk in the bed of his truck and the head and antlers went over the top of the cab. Being only 12 and on my first deer hunt I didnt really know what was going on. Sure looked like a huge deer to me. I had never seen an Elk.             Fubar

huntducks

Reaction score
The guy most likely aint got a pot to pi$$ in.

What a idiot is right, but one things for sure that sucker had a BIG white rear end I guess you could call it a white tailend.

Haary

Reaction score
When I was in high school, about 1962, one of my friend's older brother shot an elk near the Pit River arm of Shasta Lake in California.  He didn't know there were any elk in California let alone on Shasta Lake.  The way my friend told the story his brother came running back to camp shouting.. "You ain't going to believe this, I just shot the biggest buck I have ever seen".  So my friend and his father went runinng back with his brother to the "buck" he had shot.  The father recognized it was an elk as soon as he saw it although he did not know there were any elk in California either.  He told his son, "that ain't no buck that's an elk, we better break camp and get the heck out of here".  Which they did leaving the elk there.  

Welby

Reaction score
About two years ago it was discovered that there were a couple of elk that mysteriously showed up on a nearby wildlife refuge and public hunting area.  Nobody, not even the local wildlife officers, have any idea how they got there.  Since this is in Mississippi, it makes it that much more strange.

Anyway, since they are not "supposed" to be there, they are not protected and anyone can shoot them, to my understanding.

I get tickled when I think about some ol' boy sittin' on his stand some cold, cold morning and then outta nowhere one of them things bellows, or bugles.  Ha ha...I have heard stories about peacocks running unknowing hunters out of woods for miles when they start that howling mess, so I can just imagine what a hollerin' elk would do!

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I was watching CNN last night and guess what story made the big time. You guessed it...this dingdong. Just what legit hunters needed...another black eye!!!
 Scott

Kentuck

Reaction score
Here is the article out of the Lexington KY newspaper today. I would be afraid to hunt with someone who doesn't properly identify his target.

Breathitt County shooting looks like a sizable mistake
Oh deer! That's really an elk
By Roger Alford
ASSOCIATED PRESS

JACKSON -- Randolph Scott Stidham was so proud of the enormous deer he shot that he drove around town with the animal in the back of his pickup truck, showing it off to friends.

They're the ones who broke the bad news: What he had bagged was actually one of the heavily protected elk that Kentucky wildlife officials have been trying to restore to the Appalachian mountains.

Now Stidham, 38, faces more than $8,000 in fines and up to a year in jail for what the local prosecutor says could be a case of mistaken identity.

But while Stidham is garnering sympathy around Jackson, state wildlife managers are incensed.

``Anyone who mistakenly shoots an elk is an idiot,'' said Roy Grimes, deputy state fish and wildlife commissioner.

``If a person cannot tell the difference between an elk and a deer, they should get rid of their firearms. They have no business in the woods,'' Grimes said. ``These animals are as big as cattle, so the same person who mistakes an elk for a deer might also shoot someone's cow.''

Elk can weigh as much as 800 pounds, with the antlers alone spanning 6 feet and weighing 50 pounds. Deer are about one-fourth the size.

Conservation officer Jamon Halvaksz said that at least three elk were shot during deer season in surrounding Breathitt County. Someone took the back legs off one and left the rest to rot. Another was shot and left where it fell. Halvaksz said he doesn't think any of the cases were accidents.

After friends told Stidham that the animal he shot Nov. 12 wasn't a deer, he turned himself in to Halvaksz, a move that the prosecutor said bodes well.

``It was basically a case of mistaken identity,'' said Breathitt County Attorney Hershel Branson. ``Obviously, he's guilty of it, but you have to look at intent. He tried to find a game warden as soon as he thought something was wrong.''

Halvaksz said one of the first things he did in the investigation was check to see whether Stidham has impaired vision. He said the man's driver's license showed he didn't need glasses.

``There is no part of an elk that looks like a deer,'' Halvaksz said. ``It's like comparing a tractor-trailer to a pickup truck. The only way to make that mistake is to shoot in the dark, then it might have been a horse, a pickup truck or anything.''

Branson said the elk was a young bull with spike antlers.

``He did have deer tags; he did tag it and try to turn it in,'' Branson said of Stidham. ``It was somewhat bigger than a deer would be, but at 100 yards, you wouldn't be able to see the difference.''

At least one hunter in the area expressed sympathy for Stidham.

``He didn't mean to shoot that elk,'' said Doug Gross, an avid deer hunter. ``That's common sense. If he went around showing it off, he obviously shot it by mistake. It shouldn't be held against him. If I was the game warden, I would have let him go.''

Stidham pleaded innocent this week to charges of possessing an elk. A hearing was set for Dec. 13.

Stidham declined comment, as did his attorney, Andrea Williams.

Possible penalties include a fine of $1,000 to $5,000, up to six months in jail, paying $3,200 for replacing the elk, and losing hunting privileges for up to three years.

Wildlife managers began reintroducing elk to Kentucky in 1997 in 14 eastern counties. Overhunting had pushed them into extinction in the state more than 150 years ago. Now the elk population numbers about 1,300, most of them shipped from Utah, Arizona, Oregon, North Dakota and Kansas.

``I'm really upset that someone would claim to mistakenly shoot an elk, or shoot an elk and leave it lay,'' Grimes said. ``It's poaching. It's dishonest. It's criminal. They might as well go out and shoot their car.''

lintongb

Reaction score
Well I agree that this guy is an idiot and shouldn't be hunting if he tell the difference between a deer and an elk.  I can't help but think that this guy had visions of grandeur.  Gonna get his name in the B&C record book!  He's gonna be famous!  Well the only fame he is getting is being one of the biggest dumba$$es in the country.

Welby

Reaction score
Oh my...after initially reading this story here earlier today, I read it again later in a local newspaper.

People all over the country are rolling their eyes in disbelief at this one.  

GOBBLEMASTER

Reaction score
this brings back vivid pictures of my first trip to Fort Hunter Liggett.  my uncle bought a small parcel next to 29 and introduced us to the process of the base.  we were at the environmental station filling out the fishing info for the day when a small pickup came in with a monter "buck".  this guy was also proud of his kill.  i still remember the look on my dad's face. never did hear what happened to that poor guy.

anyone know or remember?

the only positive thing i guess out of things like this is that it sets an example for younger and new hunters.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I've seen a few people  defend this clown by saying he may be from an uneducated area of Kentucky, a bumpkin if you will.

Of all the people I've met, the best ones at identifying game is the simple country folks. They live among the animals, see them them every day while the citiy folks see them once a year for maybe a week or two.

Elk have a different color hide, their antlers grow different, they are much much larger, their scat and track are different,,  their vocalizations are diffferent and they have a huge white rump. This is why the Indains call them "Wapiti", which means white deer.

When you purchase a hunting license in Ky., you get a hunting guide magazine of more than 70 pages. One whole page, including pictures, is devoted to describing the difference and warning you NOT to shoot an elk!

Bottom line, this guy doesn't have a leg to stand on.

nimrod

Reaction score
Back about 10 years ago, a friend and I were deer hunting in Utah. And we both had buck and doe tags. This FRIEND would always brag about deer hunting when he use to live in Utah. Well, during the days of our hunt, I had already taged a buck and a doe and now was pushing and bird dogging for him.When it neared the end of our hunt, he gave up on trying for a buck, and was now just trying to get a doe. He always talked about Utah having HUGE doe. And he described them as " the doe from hell". He positioned himself high up in a saddle. I dogged the canyon below, making as much noise as one can, and then finally the shot. And then, another. When I finally got to the top, I see him standing over his "doe from hell". Oh it had no antlers, but this was not one he could put a tag on. That ended our hunting days, and I will never hunt with him again.
All it takes is one idiot to take away all the fun.

Mac

kuff

Reaction score
This is similar to a story told at the checkstand at a state park here in central Illinois. I was not witness to it but it would not surprise me a bit. Several years ago there were 2 guys who came down from Chicago to hunt deer on private property. After shooting and tagging their game they arrived at the check station. When the state boys looked in the back of the truck they saw two 400lb steers which no doubt came from the farmer next to where they were hunting.
Like I said- this would not surprise me. While fishing with a friend of mine from the big city we kicked up a pheasant on the way to the pond. His response was "Hey look at that baby turkey!" Luckily he is not a hunter or we would probably be reading about him. Just goes to show you that not everyone takes the time to learn.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Gobblemaster,

I recall reading a story in WON a couple years ago where a couple guys showed up in town with "the biggest mule deer you've ever seen".  I thought it was further north, but maybe it was around FHL?  Never did hear what happened to those guys.  They're idiots for sure, but I pity them.

Regards,
Paul

idaho

Reaction score
Makes you wonder about some hunters. There was a story that went aound Idaho of a guy stopping at a check station coming out of the woods and said he had an elk. When the officer went to check it out he found that it was a mule with mule shoes on. These hunters should never be able to hunt again. Thats all I have to say about it.    

Top Bottom