Kern NWR Junior Hunt

mossback

Reaction score
My 11 year old son just received his hunting license this year and we are thinking about going to Kern for the Junior hunt Jan 26- 27.  We have a 1/2 dozen mallard decoys with no boat so we plan to hunt in a shore blind.  Does anybody have ny advise on what unit to hunt and where to set up for some descent shooting.  I have not hunted this rserve for over ten years so any advise would be appreciated.

Baldplate

Reaction score
Some of my suggestions depend alittle on your son's ability in regards to walking or sitting on a stool in a flooded pond. Since you don't have a boat I would rule out Unit 1. My favorite unit is 1a, but it is a farther walk from the parking lot(1/2 mile). 1a is a good pond and I have always shot well in that pond. Units 2 and 2a are both good ponds. 2a is another long walk, and unit 2 has the shortest 250 yards and up to a mile. I think you will find the staff very helpful at the junior hunt. The space blinds are not actually pit blinds, but most are islands so you might at least be able to have your son out of the water. Unfortunately I have not had very good luck in the space blinds last year and they just opened this year, so I don't know how they are shooting. If you are planning on shooting both Sat. and Sun., I believe Kern only offers the Junior hunt on Sat. Mendota has hunts both days, but I would chose Kern over Mendota unless hunting improves by the end of the season. Kern also does not shoot many geese and at Mendota they seem to always get a few. Good luck and enjoy the time with your son where ever you decide to go. My son is 20 now, discovered girls and is going to college, so he only has time to hunt once or twice per year. We do have alot of good memories of his junior hunts and I highly recommend making the trip good luck.

Drew10

Reaction score
I HAVE HUNTED THIS THE LAST 3 YEARS. IT IS GREAT CHANCE FOR HIM TO SHOOT SOME DUCKS. A BLIND WILL PROBABLY BE YOUR BEST CHOICE THEN. YOU WILL HAVE TO GET A LOW RESERVATION IN ORDER TO GET ONE THOUGH. WELL BEST OF LUCK

mossback

Reaction score
Baldplate,

We are willing to walk a mile or so since my son is able to make a five mile quail hunt without complaining.  If we set up in the water on a stool do you recommend waders or rubber boots.  Also I have heard 1A is good as you recommended.  Could we do okay here with the 1/2 dozen decoys or should we try and get more?  Thanks for any advise.  I, like your son, drifted away from regular hunting in my early 20s but I hunt as often as I can since then.  My dad and I have had some of our best trips since then.

Drew10

Reaction score
WELL MOSSBACK
YOU SHOULD GET HIM SOME WADERS CAUSE KERN CAN BE REAL DEEP IN AREAS BUT MOSTLY KNEE TO HIP DEEP. I WOULD GET 1 MORE DOZEN DECOYS AT LEAST. IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS.......ASK I WILL TRY AND BE OF HELP.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Mossback,

Get a hold of me and Whitey1 when the day for the hunt comes up and if we can we'll bring our boat and dekes and take you and your boy out.  Whitey1 and I have kids that are to young to hunt so maybe we can help you out.

Baldplate

Reaction score
Mossback, I would say a definite yes to the waders. If your son is like most kids they will out grow their waders before they ware them out. You might want to try the stocking type of waders. That way all you have to do is replace the boots. My son even used his old tennis shoes, which worked fine. If you want you can e-mail me at bsummey@simivalley.org and we can talk more. good luck

songdog

Reaction score
That's an awfully generous offer from Kid Creole (although we haven't met in person I'd consider him a pretty class act).  If you can take him up on it I would.

If he can't make it up, I'm on the way up (assuming you're coming from SoCal) and would be happy to lend you a few dozen deks and a canoe that would fit on top of your car/truck.

mossback

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the advice and generous offers.  I will get in touch again closer to the hunt date and see if the offers still stand.  There are some great folks on this site and it would be nice to meet a few.  Thanks again!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom