Kern NWR

Baldplate

Reaction score
I finally got a reservation for Kern for Dec.19th. Has anyone shot units 1 or 2 recently. How was the mud or bottom of unit 1 since they did all the tractor work. I have a boat   and I am considering unit 1, if the bottom of the pond is not too muddy because of all the tractor work. This pond should be shooting much better then last year with all the work done to improve this unit. I don't want your favorite spots, I have my own. I just wanted to know how the hunting has been and any change in conditions. Thats for you time.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Baldplate,
I hunted Kern-Area 1 in November. We were due south out of parking lot 1 off the main channel.  The mud wasn't too bad . Not anything worse than I have experienced down at Wister. What seemed worse was trying to walk through the cut down tules along the edges of the channels, it seemed tougher than the mud. Let us know how you do on the 19th. I have a ressie for the 22nd.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
I would like to do some post season scouting at Kern to get a better feel for the area. Do you know if you can take a canoe out in the ponds at this time of year? Is there still water in the ponds? I know cover and water conditions change year to year but it would be nice to learn the lay of the land so to speak.

Baldplate

Reaction score
My understanding is you can not leave your car, or the tour route for that matter. But you might check with the refuge staff in case I am wrong. As far as draw down goes they start right after the junior hunt. I don't what stage they are at right now, but by June, that place gets dry. They have a good waterfowl day in September, which I highly recommend. You can drive all the roads not just the tour route, which should give you a good lay of the land for duck season. I hope they get the water off of unit 1 soon, so they can go back in there and continue the excellent work they began last year.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Waterfowl Hunting 1
J Waterfowl Hunting 16
G Waterfowl Hunting 8
G Waterfowl Hunting 9
Y Waterfowl Hunting 2

Top Bottom