kern

Drew10

Reaction score
Is there any water at all? What areas are open? Many birds or....? Any info would be great.

songdog

Reaction score
#2 and #1a are flooded and open.  #1 is under a lot of work right now removing tulies, etc.  It should be open in a few weeks.  #2a is also dry and closed.

Shot there on the opener in #2.  Lot of ducks.  We had dozens in the decoys before the sun came up.  Only problem is that 90% of them were Pintail and Spoonies.  Shoot your one pintail early and then pick the other ducks from between the spoonies.

We still left with limits.  It just takes a little more time than the first 7 ducks you see... which is kind of nice.

By the way - a boat is nice if you have one.

Baldplate

Reaction score
I have not hunted Kern this year, but my partner and his son hunted the opener in unit 2 and limited in about an hour. If you want alittle less competition, you might want to look at unit 1a. They only allow 7 hunters in that unit, but it is a longer walk. Make sure you check the counts on the board for wed.results. Also if you have a boat or canoe, then unit 2 is your best bet. Try the n/w corner of unit 2 it has shot well in the past and you can beat some of the crowd. Good luck let us know how things work out.

feelinducky

Reaction score
Hey songdog:
Did you happen to get checked in the field for shells?  I was up at kern last year and was doing a little BSing with the warden on friday night and he said he tries to check altleast half the people every hunt day while there shooting.  He check us first thing as were were walking out last year.  If you see someone in a white tee shirt in a canoe during the day that is him.  He thinks he is smarter doing that way so he doesn't get shot.  Thats debatable!  But at least he is doing his job.

songdog

Reaction score
No, I didn't get checked for shells.  The guy that I was hunting with has been checked several times in the past though.  Pretty thorough too.  Dumped out all the decoys, patted him down, searched every pocket, etc.  They were really good about putting everything back.  My understnading is that they'll wait right outside the parking lot and as soon as you close your truck up and take a step towards the water, they step out of the bushes.

"Only" 25 shells is a bummer when you're way back in the back corner of #2 and you just realized that they've been falling out of your pocket into the water and the truck is an hour or so away... But for the rest of the time, I don't mind and to some degree appreciate it.  It keeps people from taking those questionable (or worse) sky buster shots.

I've never finished for the day without shells in my pocket.  Either with a limit of 7 birds or just one.  Somehow, 25 always seems to be enough.

Drew10

Reaction score
Well got a yellow card. Pretty low #, for 11/17. Any
suggestion would be great.
 Thanks

DanD

Reaction score
Whats pretty low?  Have you ever hunted Kern?  Do you have a boat?  There don't seem to be alot of birds down yet, but if you know your way around Kern you can have a good hunt.  The storm this week might of helped.  I would call and see how they shot today.

Drew10

Reaction score
Yes i have hunted there before. Drew # 6. Have they opened unit 1 yet or.... well i hope the storm pushed some around well anymore info would be great.
Thanks

songdog

Reaction score
A friend hunted in 2 today.  Two teal and two spoonies.  Pretty bad for Kern.

They did open up area 1 and some of the blinds last Wednesday.  When 2a opens, it should be a good shoot.

DanD

Reaction score
If you donot have a boat I would try to get into 1A.  With # 6 you have pretty good chance.  Good Luck

Duck Fan

Reaction score
I called Kern and unit 1 is open but not the blinds.  They may open in December....But, my pick would also be 1A...unless you have a boat and have scouted 1, I would stay out of there.  Our family used to hunt unit 1 in a boat and it was wonderful.  

Haven't been there this year but Kern is a a favorite for my family and we always did real well in 1A.  Good luck - be sure to let us know.

huntducks

Reaction score
I drew a reservation for Kern this Sat. did anyone hunt there last Wed. or Sat. and how did you do and where, I realy want to know how the blinds did, I hunted there 2 weeks ago just wanted to know the latest.

I you don't want to post send me a message.

bloodsports

Reaction score
Hunted out of blind 10 today for 2 Mallards 2 Gadwall and 2 Shovlers..  

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
Nice going, Greg.  Did the fog affect your hunt?  How many guys in your hunting party?

Later.

bloodsports

Reaction score
There was no fog at all.  I could have had an all mallard Limit but lost two birds in the tulies and passed on hens.  

OH.. I hunted solo!  Ill my buddies had to work.

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
Very Nice!  Sounds like they're flying a little bit for the last hurrah!

Admirable that you passed on the hens.  You da man!

Later.

huntducks

Reaction score
Heading to Kern tonight any JHP there don't be shy say HI i'll be driving a black Toyota Tacoma W/white shell.

Baldplate

Reaction score
I will be there, not arriving until after midnight.We will be sweatline/drawing. I will be driving a 86 ford ranger w/wht camper shell.Good luck to you.

bandblaster

Reaction score
i have a low ressi for the  19 but my dad and i ahvnt hunted since 2 years ago can anyone help me on where to go??? kid you did pretty good could you give me some advice by email

Fubar

Reaction score
bandblaster  Welcome to Jesses hunting page. I am sure someone in here will be glad to help you. Did you have a good waterfowl season?              Fubar

Top Bottom