Kernville Quail, Pheasants?

Doublebarrel

Reaction score
I'm going to be up in the Kernville to Ridecrest (CA) area for Thanksgiving.  Anybody had any success in that area?   Also looking for a local guide or hunter in the near there with dog who might be able to put us on some birds

East Coast

Reaction score
I've done a lot of fishing on the South Fork of the Kern River (Sequoia National Forest) and have always seen Quail up there.  It's over an hour drive though from Kernville to the spot (Long Valley).  Let me know if you're still interested and I'll get some directions for you.

Cheers,

EC

Doublebarrel

Reaction score
Sure, I'd be interested.  I'm not familiar with Long Valley.  Always looking fo new terrain.

East Coast

Reaction score
You take Rt. 178 E.  A few miles past the hamlet of Canebrake (not much there) You'll make a left on 3281-T (I believe there is a sign to a fire station).  Go about 7-8 miles to Lamont meadow and make a left on 5323-T (again, I believe there is a sign to Long Valley Campground). Go about 15-20 miles to 5531-T and make a left to Long Valley Campground.  Park in the campground and start hiking down the creek towards the river (about 2 miles).  In the valley and along the other valleys that run into the river, there should be Quail.

Please check hunting regs. in the area since I'm not sure.  It is all Nat. Forest though.  Also, I remember the road being quite rough.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

EC

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
I used to live there , or a mile upriver from Kernville. I used to hunt behind camp owens. ( boys camp ).
To access this area , pass the camp and on that first grade you come to there is a turnout. Id park there and hike up the trail through the short canyon into that large opening. Great habitat there and I always found birds there. Once you get to the dirt road there you can continue on up and over a small ridge into another valley. Same thing there , habitat and birds.  
We used to access this area by going through a gate just before camp owens , right at the national forest sign. (You must use a 4x4 here though.) then you continue on through another gate. Once you pass through the second gate its public land.

Not sure if you can still get in that way but stop and read the signs.  Also above Riverkern , take any of the side roads past town and look and listen for birds there. used to do good there. More people hunt those areas though.  

(Edited by Bigolwiggler at 4:40 pm on Nov. 15, 2001)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom