kids first trip

tinner

Reaction score
:help:I am planning to take my wife and kids ages 8 and 6 on their first ocean trip.:throwup-yellow:I was originally looking into a barge but I was told that there are no more. Now I am looking at a 1/2 day at 22nd. street around the 18th or 25th of may. Would anyone know of a better way to start them off. :confused-yellow:since I respect you guys opinions sooo much :love:I know that you wouldn't steer me and my kids wrong. I am going to feed them bonine a good breakfast and cover them in sunscreen. Is there any thing else that I am missing?

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
Take them bay bass fishing and rent a skiff at the Newport pavilion. Less of a combat fishing situation and more under your control. When I took my kids party boat fishing the first time it was @ sea landing in Santa barbara. We went on the stardust and there was a deck hand or the skipper attending to my kids whether it was baiting their hooks or casting out for them. My 7 year old won the jackpot with a sheephead and kept enough for a gameboy cartridge and gave the rest to the crew.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
tinner, 22nd St. Landing would be a great start. Get on the Monte Carlo, it runs 1/2 trips starting at 6am , 12;30pm, 6pm. The Capt. is Paul, he has kids himself and are on the boat with him sometimes. To get your kids on a good bite, go when they sand bass bite is on. They mostly go down to the Huntington Flats are, it gets windy so bring chap stick. Hope this helps, if you go on a Wed. maybe I'll join you, I'll bring my son also, who is 7. Good Luck.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
I'd stay away from the weekend boats.  They're usually much more crowded and that generally translates into a less pleasurable experience.

Too bad the barges are gone.  My buddies and I used to go out onto the Isle of Redondo when we were in college.  We'd stay out there all night and have a blast.  I heard they towed the Redondo barge to Florida through the Panama Canal.  Didn't seem like it would have been cost effective, but I guess they crunched the numbers before they did it.

Hope you & the kids have a ball.

Regards,
Paul

tinner

Reaction score
Tony I don't think I can do a Wednesday because of work but I can do a Friday if that is available to you. I was looking at the Monte Carlo for a 12 day 6:30 am. to 12:30 pm. at a cost of $28.00.  twilight is the same price 6:30 pm. to 12:30 am.

lostagain

Reaction score
tinner,

There are a couple of ways you could go. Hogskin is right about the weekend boats being crowded which might make it harder for your kids. Thonzberry is point on the Sand Bass is also a good one. Fowlshooters point is also a good idea. So here's a couple more.

Redondo Harbor Skiffs. Like Newports but a much smaller area to fish. Prior to going ask whether the Bonita or Mackeral are in. If they are then you should have a good day of hookups (6-12lb test and some rapalas or use the anchovies from the bait barge). Newport is good but make sure you watch the tides. Lots of smaller bass and halibut. But the action might not be a fast as Redondo. I don't eat the Bonita or Macks from Redondo anymore but hey they are fun to catch. If they are in it can be a every cast affair.

The Monte is a good boat but May may be a bit early for the Sandies. June or July can be great. Twilight boats are typically more relaxed and the Sandies tend to want to commit suicide during the night. Have a burger and a coke while you are waiting. Sundown typically finds some barracuda cruising around. Normally the 1/2 boats run out to the Horseshoe (short ride) or down to Huntington Flats (longer ride) so you may want to check out some of the Newport boats (freelance) for a shorter ride on the water (longer dirve). The Newport boats get booked so make a reservation. Dana Point (long ride) can have some great Sand Bass fishing if they are in. They will normally just fish outside the harbor (really short trip).

Do you need to go saltwater fishing in May? or do you just want to get your kids on some fish? May is a very good freshwater month for trout (Sierras). I'll give you more info if you want it. June, July and August tend to be the 3Bs but as always keep your eye out on the fish reports.

Scotty

Reaction score
Tinner,

If you are interested in fishing out of San Diego, H&M Landing is running a special for the month of May. At the Day at the Docks they announced that kids fish free with a paying adult(one for one) for the 1/2 and 3/4 day trips on the Fisherman III and Malihini.

http://www.hmlanding.com

Scotty

ranchwife

Reaction score
Take M&M's.  It helps pass the time if they get bored and helps calm stomachs.

tinner

Reaction score
well last fri may 3 i was able to get my son on a fishing boat. we went to daveys locker and got on the western pride. it is cheaper then 22nd st. $27 for adults and $20 for juniors vs $28 in san pedro. anyhow there were 12 people on the boat and my son had a great ride. the fishing was excellent but the catching really sucked so the skipper handed out 1/2 fare rain checks. there were 7 fish on the boat when we got back to the harbor my son and i each had a red snapper, i have pics but no scanner.  i had the first fish of the day a halibut but it was only 20".all in all my son enjoyed it and will go back but first i will take my daughter next fri. the 17th. she is 8 and says she wants nose plugs because fish smell but she wants to go anyways.

tinner

Reaction score
I realize that I am over a week late with the post, but my daughter won the 35$ jackpot on her very first trip. She caught a hog of a sandie and no one else even brought a fish to the scale. It was estimated at about 3-3 1/2 lbs. We went on the same boat, The Western Pride out of Daveys Locker in Newport. I realize that most of us want to go on the full day or longer trips, but I would recomend this boat to anyone, especially if kids are along. The deckhands name is Jeff and he let my daughter talk his ear off whenever he wasn't busy. He got a good tip from us that day.
Anyhow this is off the saltwater subject but is anyone going to SARL for the 24hr pass over the summer?

Thonzberry

Reaction score
tinner, Glad to hear you had a good time with your kids. I hope they will keep going with you. Just spending time on the water with is good enough, fish in the bag is the extra plus.

Top Bottom