KILL IT IF IT AIN'T SHOT?

Corndog

Reaction score
I'm currently training my lab pup to hunt quail.  Since I mainly hunt Mountain Quail, I usually have her heel and fetch the dead ones (which I shoot running or flying).  While hunting mountain quail, I downed one and shot at another, both in flight.  When I got to the dead one I had the pup fetch it for me.  She performed admirably.  She then went on sniffing the surrounding bushes as I stuffed the kill in my jacket.  When I looked up, she had brought me a live one that looked rather suprised.  I don't know if I winged this one or whether the dog brought me an extra credit assignment.  In either case I wrung its neck and added it to the tally!  She was very proud of her accomplishment.  The bird was not.

Should I have let it go?

grtwythunter

Reaction score
My Lab has a similar habit. When we go dove hunting, she picks cripples out of the bushes. She's the only reason I have a decent shots fired to dead bird ratio!!!        Scott

EVAN III

Reaction score
 You should keep it a cook it up for her. A little doggy treat.

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
You should have let the bird go.  That POOR mountain quail, they are so easy to find and to chase and to shoot.

Your dog rules.  Be happy.

Sidekick

Reaction score
Maybe you could have chucked it into the air and see if you could do it in with a second shot ?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
May as well keep it.  My lab has the distinct honor of "outshooting" me and my girlfriend a couple of times, by bringing in ducks when neither of us has fired a shot.  Usually they're crips, but she brought me a mallard drake last season that was apparently completely unharmed..at least during the disassembly process I found no shot pellets.

I think it's cool if the dog is a better hunter than I am.  Saves on ammo.  :)

ranchwife

Reaction score
I agree with sidekick.  My father once had a dog that would catch pheasant (male and female).  Dad would release the females, but would throw the males up and try to shoot them.
Our fox terrier, although not a bird dog, will catch birds alive and bring them to us also.  Kind of a neat thing.

Top Bottom