KISS Method for me

Rooter

Reaction score
I have built my first cam using the RS PIR.  It works great, but I see a lot about the MS-20 so I bought one.  Could someone tell me exactly what else I will need to set it up.  I do not use my cam on a feeder so i am not worried about pics of the same animals.  I want a simple setup that will trigger the camera.  Does the MS-20 work differently than the RS-PIR?  I see so many posts about timers and delays.  I can not find a parts list for exactly what relay I will need and will this setup work with a 9v battery to keep the size down or is the 6v lantern battery better because of how long it lasts?  I am beginning to wonder if I should have stuck to the RS-PIR.  Help!

jayber

Reaction score
You can use a 9V for the MS-20, but you'll get longer battery life out of the lantern battery.  I use 4-C's in series / 6 Volts to power mine.  You just have to size the relay to suit the voltage.  I use a 3-6V reed relay in that case.  Other than that, a good pic that sums up the MS-20 mods comes from Tinhorn.....and it can be seen at:
http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...amp;PhotoID=502
What kind of camera are you going to use?  I use the Canon Owl PF and a 2-stage timer.  Once again, Tinhorn has simplified things....see:
http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...xs1.msnw?Page=3
for BOM, schematic, etc.  Hope this helps and good luck!

And thanks again to Tinhorn (for the use of his pics) and all the others that have contributed along the way....

(Edited by jayber at 1:17 pm on Feb. 14, 2002)

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
I know what you mean Rooter.  I tell people that it's easy to put one together then point them in the general direction.  I can imagine the look on their face when they encounter all this information.  To me, the basic and easy camera is the combination of the RS PIR and Canon Owl camera.  If you're not using it over feed and not worried about mutliple pics of the same animal it works great.  

It looks like Brian, in some of his other posts, is developing some boards already wired that will perform mutliple functions.  Bacally get the board from him and wire it to your sensor and camera plus a couple buttons/switches.  Easy enough for added capabilities.

With all the people who are working on the cameras and developing new capabilites and procedures you will have alot of information to wade through.  A person needs to decide what they want to make and run with it.  There's always room to upgrade your camera when you get more comfortable with things.

I would rather have all the information out there to wade through then not have any information and still be sitting here dreaming about owning one of these cameras.

Good Luck,
Todd

Stever

Reaction score
ToddP I totally agree with your post. My only addition will now be one of Brians boards to add to an existing camera if it works I will change the other.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
It is hard to keep up with all this stuff for sure.  What I do is use the Cut & Paste Method and keep a "Running" Document on hints/tips/construction, etc on WordPad.

Get WordPad started and minimized, then as I read thru the posts, I copy into the Clipboard, info that pertains to what I want to do, trimming out all the "Small Talk" and then paste the clipboard into WordPad.  It will even accept pix's.

I have Headings like MS 20 PIR Mods or Enclosures/Housings, etc and paste the data under the proper heading.  If the info under a certain Heading gets a little large, It can usually be broken down into segments, like MS20 PIR MODS & MS20 ELECT SPECS

Once the document is updated, save it, and every few days, open it back up and add more hints & tips.....

You should save even the things you think are over your head or things you think you'll never do because as you get more experience, you'll be wanting to do something more sophisticated and it'll all be rite there on WordPad.  Just go thru the Main Document and copy whatever data it is your about to build into a New WordPad Document (yes, you can have more than One Document open at a time)

Really, all the new guys should do this before building a Cam even starts.  I nearly always do on the New "Info" Forums I go too when I "Get Into It"  Apparently Knobby & Davered1 are doing something similiar because I noticed they provide previous info on a lot of their posts.

and NOPE I won't email it to anyone, you Lazy No Good Bums,  ha ha, besides, you will learn a lot if you do this yourself.  The way I studied in School was rewriting my class notes just like I described above (and there was no puters in those days)

Tinhorn

Stever

Reaction score
Tinhorn, you are brilliant, what a great idea!
Now for us lazy bums that didn't think of it till ya just told us how bout pasting it here so we can catch up to you?LOL

Top Bottom