Klamath Basin is loaded with ducks

Baldplate

Reaction score
According to a usfws survey on 10/24/01, the Klamath basin is currently holding 150,000 mallards, 242,000 GW teal, 347,000 shovelers(hey they will look like mallards come the slow dog days of November),291,000 pintail, 48,000 canvasbacks, plus an assortment of gadwall,wigeon etc., for a total of 1,463,000 ducks, plus 70,000 geese for a total of 1.5 million waterfowl.Also with the recently opened water units on lower klamath they are doing pretty decent on the ducks. Goose hunting at Tulelake has been fair to good averaging .75-1.0/hunter.I may try and re-book my annual trip to Tulelake, who knows it could be the last chance to hunt this great waterfowl area if usfws had their way. Has anyone hunted klamath or tulelake recently? Do this numbers match up with what you saw or heard.

feelinducky

Reaction score
That's good to hear.  Now all we need is some weather.  Who is goning to start their rain dance next?  Mine doesn't seem to be working to well.

huntducks

Reaction score
You don't need a rain dance, you need a blizzard dance.

When it hits 3mil you got some birds in the area.

Megadeth

Reaction score
Thats the best news I've heard from that area all year. Thanks for the upbeat report. C'mon Wednesday. Rain in the valley.

tommyo

Reaction score
Good numbers - - -how do they match up with last year???????

E A Hunt

Reaction score
I just passed on a trip this last weekend so I could chase deer around. My pals went and shot limits of Honkers and specs for two days and 16 mallards on the water unit one day and 9 ducks from a field unit on day two.

Megadeth

Reaction score
Hopefully the recent storms pour for weeks/months  up there,leaving late season ponds full. That would be a blessing to the  North state residents.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom