Klamath Basin troubles

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
The Klamath Basin is in trouble again. This year they are in the middle of one of the worst droughts in the areas history. The Bereau of Reclamation has cut off water to the Lower Klamath NWA and the farmers in the Basin. The water that is there will be used to keep higher water levels for the ESA listed Coho salmon and a sucker minnow. The salmon is truly a species that needs some help, but the minnow there is no biological basis to believe the water will help it or that it is even at low population levels. This is a real travesty. The most important waterfowl staging areas in the country and it won’t get any water due in large part to unsound biology driven by uninformed environmentalist federal biologist. Fear not though, little CWA (California Waterfowl Assn.) will again go to bat for the birds. Once again the question is: WHERE IS DU? DU has not lifted a finger or indicated to any parties in the Basin that they will help. This time there is no hunting issue here. It is purely a lack of water problem that will deprive waterfowl of nesting, molting and wintering habitat, plus by cutting out water to the farmers, there will be no grain (Waterfowl Food) in the Basin. The damage this action could cause will take years to overcome. I am not sure which is worst, the wetland habitat issues or the lack of feed crops, but if DU won’t come to the plate here, they are part of the problem. The waterfowl community needs to unite to protect the most important waterfowl refuge in the country. CWA had an emergency Exec Comm. Meeting today and voted to finance the effort to help waterfowl. CWA will dig into the Life Member Trust to fund this effort. So if you know any CWA Life Members/Sponsors thank them, or better yet, consider becoming one. We have not seen any action from other conservation groups yet. The time is now for DU to stand up and be counted. They have the clout and the money to help. This is a habitat issue, and it is far and away the most important issue that will hit the waterfowl community this year. It is time to ask DU to support waterfowl and take action in the Klamath Basin. The time for pretty pictures is past - now waterfowl need swift, positive and decisive action. No more excuses – it’s time to do what is right for the resource. I sincerely hope by this time next week I am still not asking – WHERE IS DU?

jerry d

Reaction score
What's gonna happen to the farm families in that area. Sure sounds as if they'll be in financial trouble if they don't have a large "nest egg" to see them through. Aren't these some of the farmers that "feed the world".

Oh well, guess they aren't as important as a fish that has been making it through all the low water droughts for thousands of years.

Gee, I wish I was smart enough so to see the entire "big picture". Then again, maybe it's just as well that I can't!!!!

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Can a fund be set up for donations just for helping the Klamath basin problem ?

I can't afford a life membership but since CWA is taking the ball and running with this issue while DU is trying to pull up it's pants I would like to contribute some money to the CWA cause if it's going to help take some strain off of pulling funds from the Life Members account.
Where do I send the check ?

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
You don't need to be a life member to help.  Just send what ever you can to CWA with a short note sipulating it is to help in the Klamath Basin.   I am sure CWA would love any help you can contribute.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom