Klez Virus

jayber

Reaction score
Wouldn't ya know it, I.S. forgot to put anti-virus software on my computer!  Gettin' it installed (myself) here shortly.  And thanks for the link miked!

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
jaber,  can't remember when.

here is the header for the download that cleaned mine.   Like I said I have a new norton AV  and it missed it .

Utility for cleaning infection by:
I-Worm.BleBla.b
I-Worm.Navidad
I-Worm.Sircam
I-Worm.Goner
I-Worm.Klez.a
I-Worm.Klez.e(f,h)
Win32.Elkern.c
Version 5.1.1 Copyright © Kaspersky Lab 2000-2002. All rights reserved.

Its calles kleztool.com.   I just did a MSN search on klez and it was on the first page of results.

my machine is clean today.   like I said you can watch the sent bytes on startup.  if they go much over 30K without you sending anything then you may need to checkit

bat

Reaction score
Thanks AEH for the warning!  Everybody needs to add a contact to their address book that will help this matter and let everyone know that may have your address as a contact to do the same.  In the "display name" and "e-mail address" areas, use something like this:  !045   as the display name and e-mail address ...any thing that starts with ! or like symbol will be placed first on your list of contacts.  A virus that comes to your machine usually/sometimes go to your contact list to work it's way to other people.  By adding a "FAKE" contact this way it will not go to the second contact...a real one....and usually stops it from being passed on to everybody on your contact list.  I have it on mine and so far have never gotten an e-mail back from anybody saying I passed a Virus on to them.  :batwings:

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I know that a lot of spamers are high-jacking other people’s e-mail address to send out junk. I have two e-mails at work and one got jacked I know this because I got some Spam from myself that’s way its always a good ideal not to post your e-mail address on any web sites that anyone can read if you must put a space between the @ and the end of you address or before it.
WBH

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I ran one of these tools on mine to double check, and mine was still clean. I think most of the folks who will get hit the hardest are those that use on line e-mail like netzero, yahoo and others. Those that have e-mail thru their ISP are less likely if the ISP has good virus filters.

max

Reaction score
Ok Guys...I am Computer Illiterate!!! Can I get this Virus running through a MAC?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Not on the MAC Max.... That's why I KNOW the source wasn't me.  Besides, if any infected mail gets sent to my Yahoo! account, it goes right into the trash! - never even gets on my HD.
It's about the ONLY thing I like about this MAC - no bugs!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Oh yeah.... For ******... just check the size of the message & attachment.  If it's around 120k to 160k, and one of the attachments is a .pif .exe .scr et al (usually has a .jpg attatched too to make it look legit) - it's likely an infected mail.  Toss it - if it was legit, the sender will try again.
Besides - I'm guessin' that no e-mail order will be over 100k - unless you've started selling to the 'gummint ;-)

hucklburry

Reaction score
I am on an Early Bronco mailing list with 1000 members, get up to 400 emails in a day, and sites like this and a few others. I use a @yahoo.com account, and their system has never let a virus thru. Only 5 people have my email account thru my ISP, so I lessen my chances of getting a virus.

I also set up a second "junkmail" yahoo account that I check every so often to clean out. If I have to use an amail to look at something on the web (like I sometimes use Thomas Register to find companies) I use the junkmail account. Keeps my other accounts free from junk. My primary yahoo account with the Bronco stuff gets maybe 1 junk email a week, and I have been using it for over 2 years. My junkmail account gets about 40 a week. My old ISP account was getting a bunch, so I changed it by adding the # 84 at the end, and I get none there now.

Just a tip to try and keep yourself free from junk and by using yahoo/hotmail/etc. to protect yourself from viruses. Works for me, and I can check into my emai from anywhere I can get online.

--Jim

whitetailfan

Reaction score
Okay...I haven't even posted in a while so I hate to even say anything but I've had two different ones in two days. I think this problem may be here for a while if everyone doesn't "kill" it at the same time. The first was the Klez and the other was a virus that changes your settings for your IE homepage and search page. Anyone else seen the other one??

Top Bottom