La Panza Elk

devobrodie

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Wife drew the La Panza Elk this year 2nd season, If anyone has had any experience there we would love to hear it, thanks!

nickman123

Reaction score
Been a number of threads on here before regarding La Panza. Might be worth researching. Did that hunt maybe 7-8 yrs ago with my dad. Far as I know, you got 3 options. Carizzo Plains, Los padres forest, or private land. All the stuff we saw available on private land was REAL pricey. Carizzo plains was free, and they had elk, but there was a catch. The bulls almost exclusively stay on two seperate fenced parcels attached to Carrizo plains that are not open to access. At the orientation meeting, they drew 2 names out of all the hunters with tags. Those two were allowed to go into those areas. Everyone else had to stay on the main Carizzo plain area. As far as I know, during our hunt no one took a bull off the main Carizzo plain area. In fact, most of them left 1/2 way thru season to try Los Padres forrest. Don't know how they did there.

Kentuck

Reaction score
I got first alternate. Asked one guide for the heck of it. $5,000.

bobby7321

Reaction score
DFG needs to draw those Chimineas names way before the orientation. Makes no sense to make hunters wait until the day before to make plans!!

nickman is dead on about the public area. elk just chillin right on the other side of the fence. You might get lucky and catch them on the right side but I would not count on it. Call around and be prepared to pay a hefty trespass fee. Not cheap but probably worth it to get a shot at a bull. Might be a longgggg time before you ever get another tule tag.

devobrodie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, if anyone knows of a ranch that would let us pay a trespass fee that isn't to high and can let me know I would appreciate it, I guess we should have that as a back up plan!

bobby7321

Reaction score
DFG should be sending you a list along with the tag. I would call everyone on the list and also ask if they know anyone else that may be interested.

here is a short video of our hunt

https://vimeo.com/32765660

devobrodie

Reaction score
Nice Video, Thanks, I would love to find a place that that on our hunt. I will be calling everyone!

Kentuck

Reaction score
Bobby1721, Private land?

Last edited:

nickman123

Reaction score
Forgot to add one more thing. The orientation drawing "winners" are given a lock combo that allows them to drive in to those particular parcels. At the north chimenas unit that was the only way in. At the south unit, the one right on hwy 166, there are several walk in gates as well where u can park along 166 and walk in to the area. Lot of guys use those gates during bird season to hunt that unit. When we were there, those gates were open. So if a guy with an elk tag did not win in the drawing to get the drive-in gate combo, could he still use the walk-in gates to go in there and hunt elk??? Might be worth asking about at the orientation.

devobrodie

Reaction score
My wife was able to take her bull on opening day, it was pretty hot, 82 deg. so we had to try and work quickly to get it cut up and packed out, took us 3 trips ea. and about 6 hrs from shot to getting the last load to the truck. She made a perfect shot at 285 yards.
20191108_173750.jpg20191109_090436.jpg20191109_091743.jpg20191109_092153.jpg20191109_140244.jpg

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Wtg congrats to your better half, heck of a bull. It’s got to b coolest to share a hunt with your wife and some elk jerky and steaks. Thnx for sharing!....tra

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Great job! I love it when a plan all comes together! :)

devobrodie

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely need to enjoy it when a plan comes together! It doesn't always work that way!!
It is great to have both a wife and son that I hunt with, I do appreciate that very much

Top Bottom