Lack of Deer pics leaves me frustrated

cgchris99

Reaction score
Ok, maybe this is offtopic.  But I built my camera to help me get an idea of what, if any deer were traveling the areas I hunt.

So far I have a few deer pics (did get 10 pics of same doe) but thats not many for 4 rolls of film.  Not many false shots either, except the last roll.  Pointed the cam right into the midday sun.  8 pics of nada.

Anyway, I hunt a farm that has a big swampy area on the north side.  North of that is a tree farm (ie christmas trees) South of the swamp is picked cornfield.  West is alphalfa (sp?)  The swampy area is probably 5-600 yards wide and 250 yards deep before it crosses to the next property.  

I have had my camera "in the swamp" or in the woods that are nearby.
I haven't set my camera directly on entrance and exit trails from the fields yet.  Is this a mistake?

Of course I wish to get daytime/hunting hours pics.  Cause then I know a little better when to hunt these areas.

Thanks for any advice and sorry if too off-topic

Arrowhead

Reaction score
CGCHRIS99 >> My thoughts are you either have to have them over a food source or a trail. I have a couple place's that I know there will be deer early in the season because of the vegatation. This time of the year they don't even bother going in there. I personally don't like to put a camera over a bait pile because it burns up too many pic's for me. So I go to the well used trails. Lately I have been getting nothing but dogs, coons, bobcat's and a couple deer. But they are all useing the trail's.

I'm hunting whitetails. They are creatures of habit.
Find Food source and bedding area and get somewhere in between.

If we cut a trail with a tractor the deer start using it. They, like me will look for the easiest (when not under pressure) route to use.

Not sure how you pick your camera location. But I'd get it on the trails. Maybe not right where the trails enter the fields but 20-30 yards in. Over a scrape.

These are the same things I look for when chooseing a stand location.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

StringShooter

Reaction score
By the way, your not off topic at all. We talk about ideas on camera placement and anything else that has to do with our cameras. Feel free to ask any questions

Good luck.

cgchris99

Reaction score
Actually, in my state it is illegal to put any bait out and hunt near it for 10 days after the bait is gone.

We finally have some snow here so will be out in the early AM tomorrow and will check for tracks and probably move the camera.

Any other advice would be great.

and thanks

Stever

Reaction score
cgchris, I built my cams to see what is out there. In the past I have travelled 2 hours to hunt and this year I decided to stay home. Built first cam after season because of all the deer sign scrapes rubs beds etc. but NO daytime deer during hunt. Very frustrating. I have now tracked about 1 mile of trail with camera and after 4 weeks I have 0 day time picts. lots of night shots. A buddy went bow hunting yesterday I said why bother unless you are hunting at night. Any way my passion for the hunt is growing as I look for daytime deer areas. Then I will build me a good stand. I agree with feeder idea rolls of coon pics same does really got to me. Tracking the trails works for me less pictures but more info.

Zeke

Reaction score
Im in the same boat with ya. Ever since gun season started here in NC, I've only seen 4 deer in the daytime. 1st one came in right at dawn,and it winded me and took off. The other 3 were on ajoining property beside mine. It just got cold here the past week and it had a major effect on the rut(IMO).
 I only have 8 acres(looking from above my property looks like one of those Easter Island stone heads) and where the deer come thru is in the very back part, a narrow 200 ft back line. It may be a acre total that the deer move thru.
 The roll I just got developed(my first), the deer came thru at around 10 pm and 3:45am. One was a little bitty spike and the rest were does, so I know exactly how you feel. When I checked cam yesterday morning there were 4 pics taken, then last nite I went back and the roll(12) had been finished. I may have some daytime deer on it, but we'll see.

BTW, how high off the ground is everybody putting their cams?  Z

(Edited by Zeke at 8:35 am on Dec. 27, 2001)

cgchris99

Reaction score
I ususally put my camera just about upper thigh high.  Not quite waist high.

thanks all for the info.  At least I know I'm not alone in the elusive search for the daytime deer.

Stever

Reaction score
someone here said, "set up a feeder and be patient the deer will come day or night". My problem is even on corn fields I don't see deer during day. Only time we see deer is when daylight hours are very long mid summer  then it is only late evening or early morning. Currently I am camming in the deepest part of a swamp. No humans for a mile or two.

LW

Reaction score
I never stay home or get discouraged because I don't get a daytime pic of a buck, remember you are shooting a narrow range with that cam. I point my cam at the feeder, they are legal in Arkansas, but I have never killed a mature buck on a feeder, I look for year old and mature does able to breed I have killed several bucks standing at the end of a shooting lane or in the vacinity looking at the feeder for does, I killed an 8 point last week on a stand overlooking a feeder but he crossed a shooting lane down wind of the feeder 75- 80 yrds away from my cam. I have about 50 pics off this feeder but he did not appear on a single one of them. Don't let the cam dictate your hunting style. I still
hunt where I always hunted and still kill bucks I didn't know were there, but once in awhile I get a before pic and that makes me smile.

davered1

Reaction score
cgchris99,

If I were you I would throw camera up on the exit/entry trails of field to start with. After a couple of rolls you can move back and find where you can get a "daylight" shot, if needed.

I always start by putting up my cam on the most used trail. then I jump to the not so well used trails. If I get any amount of deer on film(does or bucks) I get a stand up because LW is right my cams only cover 1 trail where ther are anywhere from 5 - 10 trails coming in. Leaves alot of room for the BIG GUY to get by cam.

Good luck

Stever

Reaction score
great thoughts thanks.
I was wondering since my patience is getting better and I can now leave the camera out for 7-10 days without looking at it maybe trails will get more movement. Anyone have any thoughts on how long something has to sit no scent to be bush friendly.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom