Lady Hunter Looking to Buy First Gun

DeerHart

Reaction score
Hello,

I hunt with my family and I am currently looking to garner advice from the community. I am a 5"9 woman with a 13" length of pull. I have been shooting a older Remington. 280 gun with a Leupold Scope.

I am more in the market for lightweight gun, but I also like the idea of a shorter length of pull. I also like the idea of lady specific balance and combs on a gun. We mainly hunt moose and deer. I am concerned a bit because I have measured my length of pull and I am 13" but the gun I am interested in for both price and features is 12.5" inch length of pull. Can I just throw on a after market Limb saver on it and call it a day? That should more than make up for the 0.5 inch difference?

I have been looking at the 11/111 Lady Hunter by Savage Arms as it is more lady specific. People have recommended to me to get it in 6.5 creedmoor for the recoil reduction.

People have also been recommending the:

Weatherby Camilla with a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x scope (this one is more than I would like to spend)
Or
Tikka T3X Lite 6.5 Creedmoor with a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x4 scope and add a Limb saver (very nice but doesn't have the lady specific trim stock and barrel but is lightweight)

II'm looking for any input but bonus if you can can tell me what your wives, girlfriends, lady friends hunt with. Thanks!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
that savage would be my pick DH. What are the weights on each gun? A good recoil pad will tame a lot of recoil. The problem now is also availability. I went to but a lady friend a 20 ga defense shotgun and the local gun shops only had one in stock, an H&R.

DeerHart

Reaction score
The Camilla is 6.5 pounds vs the Savage Arms at 6 pounds. Im in Canada in BC and I am friends with a shop owner so I could get one in based on manufacture availability. But also is 0.5 inches really that much of a difference on LOP? Like as in the Savage is my preference but I am concerned that it would be a slight bit too short when I shoulder it. The recoil pad should help though I guess if I find one that works for the stock.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Adding a limb saver or any good pad is a great way to add a little length. My 6'4" son does that to most normal guns because they are all too short for him. I tend to trim my guns 1/4" shorter than they measure me for because typically I hunt cold weather and wear heavy coats and too long of a length of pull bothers me way more than one that is a little short. Personal preference.

Now for caliber most of the game you mentioned will be a LOT larger than California deer and I would lean more towards a 7mm-08 or a 308. You have hunted in the past and if you are not afraid of the 280 I doubt the 308 or 7mm-08 would bother you. Especially if you add a better recoil pad or have two recoil pads.
My son purchased a youth model Tikka in 7mm-08 for his sons. The stock is adjustable or changeable for when the boys get bigger. My wife shoots a very lightweight 7mm-08 without an issue. We did have the stock shortened about 3/8" and I can still use it without an issue.
As far as the scope goes I prefer 2-7 or 3-9 sized scopes and it doesn't really matter which one. It might make a difference with the length of the tube for adjusting the eye relief. I have found that some scopes are so short you really cannot slide them back and forth to get the best eye relief in some mounts. I do like Leupold and have never had an issue with even the lowest priced Leupolds.

Top Bottom