Lake County sow down - Young hunter gets her first!

bisonic

Reaction score
Yesterday I took a group of three kids who are part of a Boy Scout shooting sports Crew up to my place, two girls and one boy. We got up around 3 and after an orientation and safety talk we started walking the ranch as a group with plans to split up as dusk approached. It was a warm day, low 70's. As we walked the back road we started to see fresh rooting and tracks that indicated a group of sows and piglets. Around 5 we reached a knoll that allows you to glass much of the valley and spotted a herd of about 6 sows (one easily 200+) and a dozen or so young pigs rooting at the far end of the valley. We headed down into the valley to start our approach to the group and were about halfway there when one of the other adults spotted a second group on the other side of the valley, another sow/piglet group. I took the girl who is the president of the crew and led her on a stalk to a knoll that overlooks the valley that they were working their way down - as we got to it the lead sow started to come up the side of the ridge no more than 40 yards from us. I quickly gave her my shooting sticks and she got on the hog - it stopped with a perfect broadside to us and she nailed it! The hog ran a little loop then dropped - I'm surprised it did that as she'd taken out half it's heart. Not bad for a first shot!

Hog went 150 lbs, a great eater. She was happy as can be as was her father who watched the whole thing from a nearby rise.

Sorry about the sideways picture, don't know how to rotate it...
IMG_0110.jpg

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Outstanding my friend! So much good for everyone that u provided the opportunity for them to harvest some pork and the experience that no one will ever forget, thnx for sharing!
I uprighted it for u.....tra

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

P304X4

Reaction score
Congrats to her on her first pig! Thanks for sharing.

TheGDog

Reaction score
She is just BEaming! That's Awesome!

Planetcat

Reaction score
Congrats to all involved! What a great opportunity for these kids.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing gives me more confidence in our countries future Than a Young Lady Holding a rifle with great shot placement !
You go Girl !

Top Bottom