Lake Perris / Alamo River Salton Sea

deadducks

Reaction score
Has anyone been out to Lake Perris to check on the ducks?  I posted about the new river by mistake.  My question was about the Alamo River near the Salton sea.  What is the area like and if there are any birds.  I hunted Perris 2 years back not on the opener and got 4 birds.  Not great but without a ressie may be my only choice this year.  My wife is going with me and its her first duck hunt.  If you have any info it would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Good luck out there and be careful most of all.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
hey deadducks,

I hate to ruin any high hopes but I'll tell you what I know about the Salton Sea and the Alamo River.  This will be my 20th year shooting the sea and it's not a very easy hunt especially for the little mama, this time of year it will be humid, warm, stinky and crowded.  You'll need a boat with a reliable motor just in case the wind comes up the sea can turn very nasty in a very short time.  There are a handful of blinds where the Alamo dumps into the sea but guys will be claiming them and building them thurs and friday.  Be very careful around the river, it's soft and can be deep.

IMO you need to take your wife on a easier hunt, maybe wait for a better res card on Wister or where ever else you hunt.  If you haven't hunted Wister much or don't have the gear or experience shoot me a e-mail and maybe I can help out.

good luck

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
Re:  Wife and Salton Sea Hunting

I would make sure you have a good divorce attorney lined up first.  Creole said it all:  hot, muddy, crowded, stinky, and the vets have been scouting for weeks and will be out starting today to claim their turf.  

Perris also requires a boat. Last year the hunting on Perris was good on some days, and there arent a lot of hunters.   (Shameless plug coming.....)   There are a couple of jon boats on the Trading Post room on this web site.

huntducks

Reaction score
I was out to Perris yesterday and if you like shooting Ruddys go for it, there were maybe 250 birds on the lake and 200 were Ruddys, I have to disagree with the guys on the sea the weather will most likely be in the low 90 at mid day and if you put in at Red hill head back north towards Beach rd. find some old trees out there and tie up the shooting will be good in morning as the birds come off Wister, you need to get out on the sea the day before and check it out, if you don,t know the lay of the land DON"T go out cold turkey in the dark your asking for trouble.
if this is your first trip out in that area and can't get out the day before wait till daylight.

Top Bottom