Lake Skinner Stripers

overdrawn

Reaction score
year for a hot striper bite at Skinner, has anyone been there to check it out? I have sold my boat, so will be renting one this year. Just wondering if the chad are balling up in the east end. I know quite well how and where to fish it, but with renting a boat, I would like to know beforehand, if the chad is available. Hey guys, I figured that I would jump back in here and edit this to give you the full scoop on when and how to catch these fish at Skinner, beleive me it is worth it. They are a blast to catch, because they are such fighters and are delicious eating. First off, you need a live well. any live well will work as long as it is continuously pumping the water. Shad die rather quickly in just a live bait holder. And when the bite is on, beleive me you want live bait! Second, you need a boat to be succesful at getting bait and fish. Baitcaster reels or spinning reels work just as well, I prefer the baitcaster myself. A good rod,  graphite or boron. Boron being the best. 6' one pc seems to be the ticket, one that has some fast action just at the tip. A good quality # 6 bait hook, silver colored to match the bait,  and no more than 8# test. Anything more than 8 they seem to shy away from, I have used as small as 4# test with an ultralite rod. Put a small split shot up about 12-18" from the hook, no leader. The size of split shot depends on the wind, you want the bait just bumping off the bottom. Best fishing months, November thru Janurary. that is the best time to get bait too. You launch from ramp one, or rent a boat there and head out to the right to the shalllows at the east end. If you have a meter, you can meter the bait balls. Or just pay attention to where others are gathering bait. Also, pay attention to where the grebes are working (birds) they will take ya right to the bait. Some snag them with a ultralite and about 3-4 #14 trble hooks, but that isnt legal. But they do it. (See Homemade thread on making a bitdip net on this site.) Once you have the bait, just head up toward the marina and drift back toward the east end, again pay attention to whats going on with others. Also watch for boils and cast into them if you can. Make sure you have somewhat of a relaxed drag, firm but relaxed. Because when they hit, they hit hard and run, run run. Set the hook, 3 times, three good sets. And you'll have the time of your life. I usually limit every time I go. And the limit, unless it has changed is 10 fish, and the size is no limit. Most fish are around 6-8 pounds, with an occasional 12 pounder. Have fun, hope I have helped those who are interested.
(Edited by overdrawn at 5:43 pm on Nov. 7, 2001)

(Edited by overdrawn at 7:05 am on Dec. 28, 2001)

overdrawn

Reaction score
I can't make it this year, but ya might want to read the edit I did here!

sportyg

Reaction score
Hey overdrawn,
Maybe you can hook up w/Marty or me some time. We both fish skinner.Marty has a bass tracker, we take out. Just right for three people.. Marty is new to this site but not to worry he is a great person.. One of the best you'll ever meet..  

overdrawn

Reaction score
Sporty,
thanks for the invite, but I now reside in missouri. I am right on Lake of the Ozarks just below Truman Dam. Been told by some locals here, that there are Stripers here too. Need to get good and settled in here. Then I can get out there and tear um up!

sportyg

Reaction score
Go for for it !! You'll be missed around here !!

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
hey sport.....I live in temecula and have fished it few times from shore.  As you know the price for boat rental there is pretty steep for a single guy going out...If you would ever like someone to tag along and help out with the gas, beer, bait.....please ask....I would love to join you..

sportyg

Reaction score
Mafshrman, might take you up on that one of these day.. Marty is renewing the registration today.. Still have to get our 2002 permits..

By the way for you local guys Last Chance Bait &  Tackle is having a big sale in March..

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
sportyg....Just name the time and place to meet and if I'm free, which is almost anytime...I'll be there

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom