Lake Sonoma Area Double with my 9yo and 8yo as my guides

FRISCOHNTR

Reaction score
I hunt a small piece of private land right above the lake off Skaggs Springs Rd. The kids had half days all week and were bugging me for a hunting trip soooo, we headed up on at noon. We stopped at the dam to see the spawning salmon and steelhead and had the full tour, highly recommended.

We got to the ranch at about 4 walked the 1 1/4 mile in and set up in the trailer (we always walk cause the hogs are super skittish) the kids; my Son 8yo and my Daughter 9yo were whupped from hauling water and food.

I went to set the trailer up and found that I had left the top of the generator tank loose and the gas had evaporated, so for me it was a trip to to the truck with a siphon hose and when I returned with the gallon of gas for the generator (kids need thier nightly movie), My wife had dinner ready. We ate then dressed for the afternoon "walk".

We started the walk and quickly heard some horny Toms and saw some deer including a couple of button bucks.

As the sun started to lower I started to teach the kids the art of walking "like an indian" the took to it quickly- they have been successfully pig hunting with me before. We came to a bend in the road where the recent rain had completely washed the ravine/road away. I piggy backed the kids across and we kept walking. We ran into a couple coveys of quail (that make your heart rate jump) but nothing else for the next 30 mins.

I needed to "take care of business (#2)" and walked away from the kids for about 5 mins. When I returned Julia said that she heard some noise on the manzanita hill right about us (75-100)yrds and she thought it might have been a pig. We waited and heard nothing else and started to walk away. We went about 5 mins, 50 yards, and stopped to glass a far hillside.

Julia then said ------DAD!!!!!!!!!!! shoot that pig!!!!!!

I looked on the hillside above us saw the the boar she was pointing to and ---
paaachau-- the rifle barked at the trotting boar , I led the first shot about 18 in. and it never flinched. I then quickly worked the bolt and led the boar about 2 foot and squeezed the trigger. The hog never stuttered and ran over the hill.

With Julia yelling "YOOOOOOHOOOO"and my son next to me- I stopped to get my bearings. Just then My son (JP) said there DAD GET THAT ONE!!! I looked up to see a large black hog running uphill about 200+ yards away.

I jacked another round in and led the hog by 2 feet and squeeezed the trigger--------the hog was Hit Hard and spun starting to head downhill. I gave it another three feet and squeezed off the round that sent it head over heels.

Knowing that I rolled the second pig I went up to the ravine it fell into and started to gut and spread it out. As we (julia, jp, and me) were doing that we were surrounded by pigs that didn't quite know what had happened. hehehe next time they will be sausage.

Dark came quick and after we spread and gutted the "second" hog-- the kids love the anotomy lesson and the promise of sausage. We looked in the fading light out couldn't find the first boar I shot at. With the cold night coming with a cold night promised ; I told the kids the 2nd hog (1st couple shots) would "keep" if I hit it.

We needed to get back to the trailer; we had been in contact with MOM and she had the perfect "s'more" campfire going after hearing the shots and our yells (did I mention that noise really travels in that canyon country?)

First light we went up and recovered the first boar and hiked (hauled) the two pigs out. I needed the kids and MOM to help and we go them both out. 150+ plus #'s of meat at the butcher. One of the pic's is my 8yo working the winch, PRICELESS.

A great hunt and having the kids made it twice as nice...

Attachments

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Good job on the double.Its great to see young people out in the field enjoying and sharing our hunting heritage. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Thats all you can ask for ! I think most of us are envious pig hunting ain't cheap thats a great haul of pigs keep the location a secret. Having kids that like to hunt is priceles me and my oldest son hunt crows but being sucessful on pigs thats a whole other game.

You are Blessed;
Leftyhunter

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Wow! A double on hogs with the kids...can't get any better than that! Congrats and thanks for the story and pics.

Killzone

Reaction score
Awesome report, thanks, great pics, your lucky to have that place!

1fitspirit

Reaction score
I love that your are taking the family, and that they see it is PC to hunt and bring home the bacon. May you continue to hunt with your kids until it is time for them to carry you over the streams.

bodega

Reaction score
Congratulations Frisco. It's great to see everybody smiling.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Pretty work, Frisco!

Those kids are getting a part of the education that way too many youngsters are missing out on these days. Not to mention you're getting a lot of great meat!

bigworm

Reaction score
Great job, the only thing better than hog hunting is hunting with your kids. Creating memories you all will never forget, priceless!

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! A double and the babies and missus along for the festivities. Good for you!

BDB

Reaction score
SWEET !!!!! Great area up there, sounds like you have an awesome place to teach your kids how to hunt

JNDEER

Reaction score
Awesome! great story and nice lookin hogs as well

One Track

Reaction score
That's the life!!! Nicely done. Those are some big porkers.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
I think that's great that you are lucky enough to share your passion with the family. Keep it up, the future of our sport depends on people like you!

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
thanks for sharing your great story and photo's of your wild boar kills with your kids! very cool!............................tra
frisco, can i hire your kids as guides and spotter's for my next wild boar hunt

FRISCOHNTR

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, the kids are checking on them.. They are great little hunting buddies and love to "get out there". Thanks to all....

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom