lake sonoma range

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
are u only allowed to use field points on this range? because i have my broadhead target i would use but i know some ranges dont allow that any help appreciated

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Good timing on your question: I just got a copy of the range rules in the July Sonoma County Bowmen newsletter.

It states "Broadheads are not to be shot into targets. A designated broadhead area is to be used for that purpose."

That implies to me that there is an area where you could use your own broadhead target, but I have only been up there once and did not look for that area. I might get up there this afternoon. If I do I'll look around and let you know.

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Went to the lake & put the boat in the water with my son & his dog so we didn't get to the range. Spent the afternoon swimming and otherwise goofing off instead of shooting.

MikenSoCo

Reaction score
Thank you SCBH

The range is awesome, but no signage/info at the closed visitor center made it hard to find. Head out Rockpile Rd. toward Liberty Glen Campground. Pull into the second ( upper ) Lone Rock parking lot. The range is still not marked so you need to go down the trail behind the trailhead sign, and you'll walk right into it. Look for the big red safety flag. I did not see a " broadhead area", and would ask at the headquarters first. They may frown on that w/ horses and hikers using the the same trail, I don't know. Speaking of horses, if you see them neart the range make sure you wait til they are well gone before launching an arrow. I know my horse freaks at arrows whizzing through the air anywhere near him. One bad horse wreck do to an inconsiderate shooter can ruin the whole thing. One can ruin this great range for all with a single blunder. Thanks again So. Co. Bowmen.:patiotic-wavin-flag

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Helpful Info - Lake Sonoma

MikenSoCo is absolutely correct - not good "signage" to the range but I think we're working on that. His directions are right on. Please make sure to raise the red flag when you are on the range and lower it when you leave.

I have attached a .pdf with the range layout. For some reason I couldn't get the range rules to upload. Sorry, but I'll keep trying.

Attachments

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Helpful Info, Part 2

Ok, finally got the range rules to upload.

I haven't been able to find out where the "designated broadhead" area mentioned in rule #12 is.

Attachments

Mikey88

Reaction score
My wife and I went up to the range yesterday to check it out. Shot a few arrows at the first and second targets and was making my way to target 3. I had told my wife to stay on the trail since she gets poison oak really bad. Just then she screams out "snake" as I'm walking up to the trail that she's on. Turns out she had a rattlesnake cross the trail right in front of her and into a bush that I was getting ready to walk right past. She said it had rattles on it and to make sure I threw a rock into the bush and sure enough it went off. After that she wanted out of there so I just shot at target #1 for a bit. Be careful in this hot weather, but the range is a great set up for sure! :archer green:

Top Bottom