Lamson Holmes P.I.R.??

Gun Docc

Reaction score
anyone using these to much extent yet ?

i have been using a few of them here in the last week or two and have found that they seem to be a little better than the radio shack ones.

for one they still run off of the small 9 volt batterys and they have a good bit more range. i have found that they will easily reach 75 feet  without any special modifications. but on the package they claim only to reach 50 feet.
also with this pir there is no sounds whatsoever from the relay as it trips. you just need to build a timer to get it to work properly.
i mounted my pir inside the housing with the fresnal lens glued flat on the inside of the box while keeping it about the same distance from the sensor as it is came factory.the ones i have measured factory are set at 1.200 inches and i have been setting it up inside the case at 1.125 inches from the sensor with the hole cut square for it to look out thru, well not exactly square but 1.750 long by 1.250 tall....lol

i even tried the super bright led's from radio shack(part# 276-066a) on these cam units and found that they are just what you need as it can easily be seen from 75 feet and further and even in bright sunlight.
you can even see these led's from the side as you don't need to be directly in front of it to see it well.

myself and a guy that works with me were testing a unit today with the super bright led out in the bright sunlight and he said that if you could not set the camera up with the aid of this light that you did not even need to own a camera unit
i also used the led holders that are made for mounting it in the box which are easily made waterproof with a little silicone.

on another note with this particular pir unit , you do not have to wait on it like you do the rs model when you first turn the power on to it. soon as the timer goes thru it's sequence you can turn on the camera and it is ready to take pics right off the bat .

i think i will make me a few more of these as you do nothing to the pir unit but hook up a timer to it and go take some pics  

LATER,

jayber

Reaction score
Gun Docc,

What kind of timer circuit are you talking about.......and where do you find these LH PIR's??

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Jaber,

you can find the Lamson Holmes pir,s at Lowes
and also there is one made by GE (general electric) that is the exact same unit just in their packaging.

the Lamson pir is actually sold with the Dimango products logo on the packaging.
the one i am using is the HS3100D model

as for the one by GE , i forget the part number right off but will post it soon when i have a bit more time.

you can hold one of each in your hands and they are identical but just with different company names on the packages.
they both sell for the same amount within a dollar or so.
Lowes has both in stock around here locally.

as for the timer i am using it is the one posted by Welby that is a modification of the one found on page 13 of the Forrest Mims timer op and amp circuits manual sold at radio shacks.
i just modified it a bit from what Welby posted to get a longer time from it by changing the value of the R1 resistor. by doing this i get a 4 second timer .

Later,

J

JayBoy

Becareful with these PIS's.  I couldn't get mine to work and when I took it back to Home Depot the guy laughed and said that everyone was returning them because they were defective.  Hopefully it was just a bad batch though.

J

JayBoy

Ed...LOL...Ofcourse I didn't mess with it before I returned it....YEAH RIGHT.  Seriously though the guy had no idea I had opened it up and he said that people were not having them work for their "intended" use.

J

JayBoy

Has someone successfully field tested this yet?? If so it would take a little worry away from ms20's dissappearing.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Jayboy,

i have done more than just test these pir's......lol

i have been making camera units from them and have got the proof with lots of photo's being taken with them and they work great with no problems at all.
Later,

jayber

Reaction score
Gun Docc,
How wide of a view does your PIR have....did you have to narrow it down some out to 50'+?  If not, are you getting some pictures with animal out of camera view?

Got me a HS3100D this eve. and it looks pretty slick.  Think I'll attach it to the bottom of a box and seal the bugger up!

J

JayBoy

Gunn Doc, Thanks for the info.  I will try it again and let ya know.

jayber

Reaction score
Gun Docc,
I bought one of the LH sensors and I have a couple of questions on how yours behaves with a camera. I did a bench test with the sensor & a lightbulb and noticed that once motion ceases the lightbulb would remain on for 1 min. Now if a camera were attached instead, I'm concluding that the camera would fire off 1 min. worth of pictures (?). In that case, are you using a one or two stage timer? With your timer circuit how does the camera behave when an animal is in range of the PIR and after the animal moves out of range? I recall that the RS PIR would turn off 1-2 seconds after moving out of the sensor range.

(Edited by jayber at 12:08 pm on Mar. 29, 2001)

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Jaber,

with the light still hooked up as it comes from the factory , with the pir sensing motion it comes on and stays on for the 1 minute you speak of.
this is done with electronics inside the bulb socket that comes with the light. throw it away as it is not needed.
the pir works just fine with a one shot timer(monostable) and the way i am wiring it  , the camera is working super with it being able to take a picture every 4 seconds.
i have mine wired up with a 4 second delay between pics and the camera fires every time something goes by the unit every 4 seconds whether the camera is set to forced flash or with the flash locked out and not using it.
for real world deer pics in the wild and not on a feeder i want to get that big ole buck who is chasing right on the heels of that hot doe
this is why i have it set for a 4 second delay, kinda like the camera is when you have it set to forced flash. it takes the camera about 3 to 5 seconds to recharge the flash ( depending on battery strength) and this way while using the 4 second timer it makes the camera work about the same with or without the flash.
if you use a timer that is set for longer times between pics in the wild  and not on a bait pile ,you will miss a lot of action during the rut .

Later,

jayber

Reaction score
Gun Docc,
Thanks for the info!!!  I'm one the same page as you when it comes to being able to snap pics with little to no delay, but I also would like to be able to flip a switch and have longer delay option(s).  Tinhorn has me going in the right direction.......I think.  :eek:)  Thanks again!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom