Lamson/Holmes

dutch

Reaction score
Hello all,  First let me say that this is one of the best sites and very useful to me    Now the problem I,m having is sometimes my camera will go off if I wave my hand in front of the pir at no more than 2 inches and just abot always will fire if I wave the plastc package that the lamson 3100A came in at no more than 2 inches. Does not fire at all past 2" I have a Owl AF with 5 volt reed and tlc555 timer. I have no switches in place yet but the led which is wired to # 16 on the ic will flash at least 24 feet away when stepping into it. I,m not sure if its as bright as it could be but all bats. are new. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Dutch      

Blacktail

Reaction score
Hi Dutch
Sorry I can not help as I am also in the process of building my first cam with a lamson.  Did you build your timer or did you buy it.  I tried to get one from Ramsey but they are on backorder.  Thanks

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Dutch,

why it will only fire the camera at 2 inches away is a mystery to me...lol
how far is the sensor mounted from the fresnal lense ?
do you still have it mounted within the housing it came in ?

one thing to try is unhook the led from pin 16 and see if it works then as it may be pulling enough juice away from the reed relay that it will not function.

i wire my led in with my timer system from the 555 chip and it works great this way. i hook it up with pin 3 of the timer and then to a ground and this way the led lights up for the timeout period which makes it very easy to see while testing the unit.
of course you will have to put it on a switchleg to cut it off when not needed.

do away with the led temporarily to see if it makes your camera fire at distance is all i can suggest without knowing your setup.

Later,

dutch

Reaction score
The TLS555 timer came from Radio Shack.The pir is still intact in its housing with nothing changed or touched  except the led to # 16. I wanted to get it working before I boxed it.Thanks for the replys tomorrow I will remove the led and test and then move it to the tlc555. If that fails I have one more pir that I will wire to the socket and see how that works. Thanks again Dutch

dutch

Reaction score
With a new Lamson/Holmes a audible click was heard when the sensor was activated. On the previous one there was no click.Volts to the sensor were about 3 as best as I can tell. My new L/H is wired from the socket to the cam and works fine but takes about 1-2 min. to reset. I am going to get this in the field and then try again to tackle the L/H with the tlc555 and reed. Dutch

davered1

Reaction score
dutch,

If you want to try a 1 shot timer email Gun Docc,He sent me a schematic of a easy timer for the Lamson.

I would post it but don't if Gun Docc would mind,Best if you ask him.

you can change a couple of resistors to get your first setup to have shorter times

this is from a earlier post By GIZZ

The 2 resistors that determine the 10min and 1min settings. R16 (470k from the factory) controls the 1 minute setting and R17 (3.3M from factory) controls the 10 minute setting. I swapped R16 with a 100K and get about 7 or 8 seconds instead of 1 min. I would think using a 1 meg on R17 would give you close to 3 mins.(he also said not to go lower on R17 because it might burn out board)
...Don't forget to change the DIP switch on the PIR to test the 3 minute delay.

(Edited by davered1 at 7:58 pm on Jan. 1, 2002)

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Heads up Dutch,

i sent you a schematic by e-mail to help you out a bit

one thing i noticed is that you are running your camera from the lightsocket chipset. right?

if so you will sooner or later find that it will hang up and lock your camera down which then has to be manually turned off by the switch on the camera face to reset it,

i have messed with that chipset for hours trying to get it to work right and it is just a NO GO.
best thing to do is build yourself a timer that works reliably and you will have no problems with the Lamson as they work great for me as they seem to a bit more suited to hot and cold weather and also they have more range.

Top Bottom