LANAI HUNT #2 - SPORTSMANS PARADISE

mossyoakhntr05

Reaction score
Well, Lanai never ceases to impress me. September 22-25, drew a public Mouflon tag this for the state hunt. So, we decided to fly from Oahu Thursday private hunt Friday public hunt Saturday, fly back Sunday. Spent most of the day on Thursday scouting and just driving around the island. Friday morning up at 0445 to head down the north side to area A. I hunted area A in March and knew there where good number of deer and sheep down there so i figured we would give it another shot. We parked our little loaner truck at the bottom on the coastal road, and head up Ka'a trail, we couldn't have been 50 yards from the truck when the first deer stepped out about 15 yards from no clue we were there. Let her go, little one needs to grow up some more. So, up the trail about 150 yards got into some more deer, my partner downed a doe at about 50 yards, she was in a group of about 5. i got into postion to shoot if another popped out but none that i could see did. While waiting for these does to pop out into the open three sheep bolt out of the draw directly infront of us and my partner downes a small ewe as well. He was excited to shoot!!!:panic: I had been here before, I knew what was there!! he went to clean his animals and i continued up Ka'a. I went about half way up the mountain side a good 1000 yards from the kaiwe bottom on the coast, the trail cuts right and get really close to the cliff face. So i decided to take a peak over the edge and man the cliffs were alive sheep EVERYWHERE!!!! At first i didn't see any rams so i took a seat on a little rock perch point and just glas for a few minutes, counted 40 or so sheep with more hidden. All of a sudden, what sounded like a bush hog ripping trees apart directly below my perch scared the crap outa me, I look down only to a ram tearing every tree he could reach a new one. This ram was big enough for my safety to immediatly go off safe. I watched him for i dunno about a minute and he went on to start munching on what ever he was thrashing now he was only about 30 yards from me damn near straight down. I slung my 30-06 up, put the cross hair where I though I could get both lungs and bam. i thought it would've put him down but his head came up and he just look confused as hell, so i racked another round and fired again still confused looking he jumped down to a cliff ledge about 6 foot wide and that was it. As soon as he hit the ledge death wobble got him!!!! DOWN GOES FRAISER, DOWN GOES FRAISER!!!! If you hunt or have ever hunted or even remotely do anything hunting related you absolutely have to come to Hawaii to hunt once in your life. I love, absolutely love hunting Lanai. It truely is a sportsmans paradise in every essence of the word paradise.
I also shot a nice hard antler buck and a doe. We hunted so hard on the private hunt, I didnt put to much into the public hunt. I had my meat in the freezer, and you have to throw the heads away of any ram you kill muumuu or non typical dont matter it gets discarded.
Mike buck 1.jpgdoe 2.jpgmike ram 2.jpgmike ram 1.jpg

weekender21

Reaction score
Awesome, can't wait to hunt there myself! Congrats.

mossyoakhntr05

Reaction score
that ram was not one that had to be tossed because it was a private pay hunt as well but the public ram heads have to turned over because they do not want people trophy hunting the rams and trying to pass it as a muumuu or nontypical

Top Bottom