Lanc is being discontinued

Stever

Reaction score
Well I was ready to plunge into the video cam world. I have tried ebay with minimal success I was ready to jump into a new cam corder. It seems that almost all of the new sony's are lanc less( at least the ones that I would pay and put in the bush(under $325 USD). A call to sony land and the professional experienced advisor indicated that that technology is old fashioned and is being discontinued.
If this is true, now what? How will they control those extra gadgets USB?
Is anyone here working on the next generation of cam corder hacks yet? Anyone here want to sell there camcorder or video set up for a fair price?

D Letho

Reaction score
Not sure about the USB .

From PIX.com

At the moment it's not looking like this is going to happen anytime soon. The problem is you need USB Host controller, which are very power hungry. This makes them out of the question to use them for battery power devices. And, this is why you don't see any PDA's with USB ports!

Recently, however, there is a new standard called USB On-The-GO (or OTG), which is designed to allow peripheral devices to talk directly with one another without the presence of a USB host controller. They will also let you power down the USB device enabling them for use with battery controllers.

We are at least a year away from a controller like this. Until we start seeing more PDA and such with USB ports to prove this technology I think it will be a while before we have a USB digital game camera controller.

Note, there are a lot of PDA's with a USB port, but the USB port on them is so you can download your information to your computer. The PDA is acting as a USB device. If you could connect your digital camera or printer to your PDA then your PDA would be acting as a USB host, but this is not the case.....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom