Land lease/hunting clubs

bradj

Reaction score
I am thinking about starting a hunting club and was wondering if anyone knows any info that I can use in terms of legalities that I need to address. Also what is a reasonable price to pay for hunting land to lease. Thanks for your help.

D Letho

Reaction score
  You know here in the GARBAGE STATE (aka New Jersey) I mean Garden State.When you here of hunting clubs or groups it sends shivers down my spine. Here in Jersey when you join a club it means this. DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE DEER. No hunting at all !!! No scouting , stand placement, thinking about the wind. Just walk through the woods and yell YOOOOO BUCKKKKKK. If this is hunting I will stop yesterday!

For two years now this one club has trashed my 1 week of shotgun. They come through once aday. Nothing you can say to them since half are NJ State troopers.

They will not get my season in the dumps this year !!!! I have just set up 4 stands in the thickest part of the swamp I could find that had runs through it. At least I still have my bow season !

If you just put a group of people togeather to get enough money up to get a lease to hunt it thats one thing but to walk around yell YO BUCK and target practice on the deer you see is another. Buy the way for you people that go around and yell Yo BUCK have you ever had one say "yea" ?????
                           Don

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I despise leasing land to hunt on. What I despise even more is the fact that for some that's the only way to have land to hunt on. I've been shut out of large tracts of land used for other purposes than hunting because when it was leased out to hunters, it stopped all other use year round. This helps to turn hunting into a rich man's sport. If you can't afford to lease, you can't hunt. What'll you do if someone with lots of money to throw around out-bids you for the land you've leased for several years? I've been fortunate to be able to hunt on private land with permission and on public land. We share the ground with others that have permission as well. If I have to pay to hunt, I'll either start hunting only public land or I'll hang up the bow and clean out the muzzle loader. Leasing land to hunt on is like a cancer. Once it starts, it rarely stops. I have no intention of starting. I hope you have other options.  

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Just a quick reply here.  In GA and AL that is about all you have to hunt are leases.  Even in the rural farm districts the landowners became wise to what a lease could bring them in the way of funds.  I've only hunted one 600 acre tract in my lifetime that was not leased, but then you had others who had permission too and you never knew where they were.  

Just about everyone in the southeast I know of that hunts wishes they had enough money to own their on land.  Saddly, the lease was well rooted here as far back as twenty years ago.

I'm not complaing about leasing property because with our lease I know it is leased to only me and my club members for the year and we have specific rules and guidelines established for everyone's safty and well being.  Needless to say we reap the benefits of managing our property for a quality deer heard.

bradj

Reaction score
Maybe I should be a little more specific on why I want to lease some land. We own a 250 acre farm that we hunt on. However all of my relatives hunt here to, although mostly that is not a problem, however we have a few more distant relative that hunt around here and ruin the areas and they disregard common courtousy as well as neigbors posted signs. Also our farm is bordered by a 300 acre farm that is under green tag "basically free for all" and this has led to numerous dead deer laying on our property and deer with numourous wounds. This is the farm I was thinking about leasing, it would also get us more land to hunt on so that we could spread out a little altough we really don't have any problems as far as space in our "camp", but no one thinks that they need to do anything to help take care of the property we hunt now they think that its our property and we should take care of the food plots and everything so that is why I want to start a hunt club with our land as sorta base. then I can keep our "disturbing"relatives out and kinda force the others to help out or pay up. My one uncle does help out a lot and is the one who also got me interested in QDM, which is another reason for the hunt club.

shadow

Reaction score
I have hunted Public lands for several years now in Texas and have been rudely walked up on, even after I got thier attention and waved them away...had people shot by me, within 20 ft with a high power rifle, had my truck broken into, three times, had duck hunters come in and sit below me next to a lake and start shooting ducks and cans etc...

I got onto a 285 acre lease this year with two other guys that I know.  We know where each other is going to be sitting, we know who is on the land and who should be there, we don't have to worry about stray bullets, as much anyway, trucks getting broken into, some else taking your hunting spot that you have prepared and you not being able to do anything about it.  I don't have to worry about people walking up on me and disrupting my "hunt" and "smelling" up the area.  I have the ability to manage the deer in the area to create a great hunting environment that all three of us can enjoy as well as having the ability to bring our kids with us and them actually seeing animals and learning the whole experiance.  Can't beat it.  
I will still hunt public lands but only for squirel, turkey, dove or rabbit and where you can only use a shotgun (no slugs) or bow..
NO hunting for this guy on public lands with anyone I don't know carring a high power rifle that has the ability to shot 600 yards.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
A lot of what shadow mentioned is a good reason for leasing.  What you are trying to do bradj, manage the land and the deer heard, by controlling access and limiting it to only like-minded individuals is a good idea.  If people want to hunt quality deer in a quality habitat then they are going to have to sacrifice certain things such as not being able to shoot anything and by spending a little time to put something back into the property.  

The process you described is how we work land deals as well.  For instance, the county I hunt allows dog hunting the last month of the season.  There was a large dog hunting club close to us that had no desire to manage the deer heard for quality deer.  When they lost access to a large tract of timber next to us, we picked it up to incorporate it into our management style and to keep anyone not wanting to manage it in a similar way out.  We doubled our land base and have been managing it for six years now.  The deer in my avatar came from this property in 2000.  Don’t take this as I am against the dog hunting style because I am not.  I just prefer a different approach and to ensure this different approach took place we leased the land.  Besides, the property owner changed the lease contract on the dog hunting club so that they could no longer dog hunt the property.  This may have stopped the dog hunting, but the lease did not require any management practices take place.  Because we were so intensely managing the deer heard on our property, we sure didn’t want the new neighbors hurting our efforts by doing just the opposite.  To prevent this we leased the property.  Now the land owner has since changed the lease to require a management practice.  

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom