Laptop Batteries

chadwright

Reaction score
I have access to a couple of 14.4v 2500mha laptop batteries.  Has anyone used one of these or any other laptop battery?  It should work right?  Will it hurt to use a 14.4v battery with a 12v relay?  Looking for a longer lasting battery than the 8AA that I am currently using.  Plus my AA are not rechargeable!!  Help appreciated!

Chad

StringShooter

Reaction score
Not trying to be funny at all but my battery hardly works in my laptop half the time.

Are you using it for a MS20? If so, I use a 12 volt powersonic battery with a 9 volt relay and it works just fine.

The 12 volt 2.5 amp batteries are not too expensive (10 bucks) and they hold a charge very well in cold weather.

(Edited by StringShooter at 10:42 am on Oct. 2, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Chad,

It would be unlikely that a 12 volt relay would be damaged by the 14.4 volts but one thing you could do is put a resistor in series with the relay coil.  The (dropping) resistor would "sink" the 2.2 over-volts.

The resistor formula is:
resistor = supply volts - relay volts  /  relay current

eg.
14.4 - 12 = 2.4
assumed relay current  20ma's

2.4 / .020 = 120 ohm resistor

I think the rechargable ($100) battery would be a good choice if you can charge it easily

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Chad,
Some newer laptop batts are "intelligent" - they have embedded microprocessors that communicate info back and forth with the power management controllers in the laptop.  If you have the "intelligent" types, they might not work at all.

Give 'em a try and see.
Let us all in on the results of your experiments!

Archilochus

chadwright

Reaction score
StringShooter

Are those 10$ powersonic batteries that you are talking about rechargeable?  Where do you get them?  Do you think that they will work better/last longer than 8AA?

Chad

StringShooter

Reaction score
Yes they are rechargeable. I use a small motorcycle battery charger but I hear you can use a car battery charger. Just remember how many amps your dealing with. I said they were 2.5 but I sould have said 1.2 amp. These are the specs.

3.82" X 1.78" X 2.07" high. They do weigh a bit but work really well wilth the MS20.

Here is a reliable company that I have used in the past.

http://www.allcorp.com/

They sell 12 volt, 1.2 amp rechargables for 10.50 not including shipping.

(Edited by StringShooter at 11:50 am on Oct. 2, 2001)

Top Bottom