Last chance for second buck in D-4

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I am loaded and ready to drive away to hunt 4.5 days in an effort to fill my second tag. I think I will camp at 5000' so I do not have to deal with as much snow around camp. We plan on hunting as high as 7000' on some migration routes but we also want to hunt some areas that are 4000' with lots of acorns. You would think that 4 days is plenty of time but there is no way we can hunt all of the areas we want. There will be up to 4 other hunters or as few as 1 other hunter depending on what day it is. All I know is where I will set up camp and I just told everyone where that will be so if the other guys show up great if not well there will just be less guys crowded into a 19' travel trailer for dinner.

I have had a couple of chances to fill the second tag but for various reasons I did not. For the last weekend my standards are not very high so I will take a fork if I get the opportunity.
Good luck to all who are out this weekend and I expect someone to find some nice bucks moving in the storms on Friday or Saturday.
John

Jason l

Reaction score
I think the snow will be in your favor this weekend!! Good luck!!!

Bossbrott

Reaction score
Yep, the snow should be very helpful. Heading out with my daughter Friday evening, hoping to get her first deer.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I packed up camp and came home today. My son shot a nice 16" wide fork on Thursday morning and since he was out of tags he went home. My other 2 hunting buddies and I hunted high in the snow for 1.5 days with no bucks seen. We stayed at least one ridge over from one of the known migration hot spots and it did not work out for us. One hunter needed to leave at noon on Sunday so we went back to camp and he left. That left 2 of us to hunt until dark and we did see a VERY small fork just before sundown. Neither of us wanted to shoot him so we wished him well and told him we would see him next year. My son's buck was taken at around 4500' in an area that he had taken one last year. We did talk to another hunting buddy who did try to hunt the hot spot and he told us it was a real zoo just like we expected. He saw some good bucks taken and heard lots of shooting but he could not find anything to shoot. I am not sure I did the right thing by avoiding the crowds but at least I did not get into a heated discussion with anyone about driving or parking on a one lane road that apparently had 40-50 cars in less than 1 mile. We did talk to some other hunters that backed out and told us there was no way they would go back to that spot on a weekend. As a family my son and I took 3 bucks this year and some of our hunting buddies also took 3 more for a total of 6. Only 2 hunters did not shoot anything and only one hunter never saw a legal buck. One surprise was that no one in our group shot a bear in deer season. We turned down a couple when it was still warm and then after the weather changed we never saw anything big enough to shoot.
I have a slide-out on my trailer and I did not think about putting a tarp on it to keep the snow off so this morning it took me about 3 hours with the heater really cranked up to get the ice to break loose so I could get my rear slide-out back into the trailer. Lesson learned and in the future I will cover the slide-out if I think we are going to get snow or freezing rain.
John

OVHunter916

Reaction score
Goes to show you there might be a buck left in D3-5 zones after all! I didn't get out the last two weeks due to personal reasons but I did see some bucks in my preseason scouting and lots of does and sign early season. Congrats to John and family for sticking with it and getting the job done!

Top Bottom