Last Day

RR1

Reaction score
Today was the last day of season, strong thunderstorms last night and still cloudy and wet at daybreak. The birds made a silent flydown from the roost and left the field opposite my setup thirty minutes before sunrise. Fifteen minutes later a tom started to gobble in the woods across the field from me, answering soft yelps but would not leave the wooded area. We talked at ten minute intervals for about 45 minutes till I gave up on him and just started very soft clucks in case one might be coming in silent. After 15 minutes or so, I saw a hen coming along the edge of the field dragging five jakes and the tom with her. The hen and jakes were passing within 15 yards and the tom was 30 yards behind them. The last two jakes alerted and gave questioning but not full blown alarm putts. The tom stopped and I thought it was over but the jakes settled down and he came on in. Spurs were 1 1/8 and 1 1/4" with a very thin 8 1/2" beard. I don`t know what beard rot looks like but there were a lot of broken bristles about 1" long at the base.

[attachment=51688:DSC00123.JPG]
[attachment=51686:DSC00124.JPG]
[attachment=51687:DSC00125.JPG]

Attachments

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Way to go RR1. Glad you got you one more before your season ended.

What I have seen that people call beard rot is a band of lighter color across a beard. The bristles are brittle at this band and break easily. Don't know what causes it though.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Nice shootin RR1.

They call it beard rot. It's a lack of Melanin (black color) in the beard that makes it weak and brittle. Looks blond or reddish, like it was singed off.

Adult tom MO bird with beard rot. He had 1 1/8" spurs but a 3" stub for a beard.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Congrats RR1,

What state are you in that the season ends on a tuesday?

RR1

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ilovesprig @ May 6 2008, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Congrats RR1,

What state are you in that the season ends on a tuesday?[/b]
OK, season was April 6-May 6.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom