Last Week-end for Adults

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Saturday I took out 2 brothers (Tom & Tanner). I've taken Tanner (junior) a number of times this season and he's got 2 birds, but Tom (adult hunter now) because of his work schedule had not been able to go as much. It was our 1st hunt together this year (Tom shot his 1st longbeard near here). It started out pretty discouraging, not hearing a single gobble or seeing a turkey. Knowing the lay of the land, I decided to move to the other end of the property, where the birds had roosted the entire season. Not this time, no gobbles, no flydown, and no turkeys. Moving again, we set-up near an area where the toms had strutted before. After calling aggressively for awhile and not hearing anything, I decided to let it rest for awhile. 20 minutes later, I start with some soft yelps and BOOM, gobbles about where Tom & Tanner are. The next sound I hear is KABOOM. Tom had his turkey. This gobbler came in silent, but the kids had spotted him 1st. He didn't gobble till he was right in front of Tom. It pays to be alert at all times.......18 1/2 lbs, 9" beard, 3/4 spurs..........

Sunday (today) I took my old roomie Jeff out for his 50th birthday. Same story as saturday, no gobbles and no turkeys. This time I went to the west end of the property, and at about 6:50, we heard our 1st gobble. Kind of far away, but they responded each time I'd hit 'em with the Boxcutter. After relocating 3 times, we settled in for the long haul. It wasn't that long. At 7:15, there they were, 3 longbeards gobbling like crazy. Jeff was about 50 yds in front of me and as long as they kept gobbling and coming, I kept calling. At about 40 yds, they either saw Jeff move or they didn't like the decoy because they started sliding sideways. At 43 yds Jeff let loose. Stone dead with 3 1/2" 1 7/8 6's of Hevi-shot....Deadly stuff....Beautiful bird, 19 1/4 lbs, 8 1/2 beard, 1" spurs.....Happy 50th......

Attachments

foulshot

Reaction score
Nice job Steve!

I would like it if we could get more than 2 per year here in CO....

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Heck Zach,

I went all the way to Kansas and I was allowed one (it was still great though).........

Top Bottom