last weekens of the season for quail

Maverick

Reaction score
Well this is the last weekend of the season. Is anyone going to try there luck. I"m going to head out saturday not sure where yet. Think my
hunting partner is working.
Cynic you working if you are I think I will see if Ted want to go out. If niether of you can go I think I'am S.O.L. cause I don't want oto go out along.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
chris, You hsould come up to Arrowhead and try some Mtn. Quail and some coyotes, plus you can meet some of the guys. Check out the Varmint forum for details on the JHP Arrowhead Hunt. Hope to see you there.Good Luck

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Taking my daughter down along the central coast somewhere to shoot quail and let her "handle the dog".  It's her favorite thing.  Hope to check out a couple of my pig spots while I'm at it.  

Wish I could make it down to Arrowhead, but it's a little too far south for me this weekend.  

T F Coyote

Reaction score
I was in the San Bernardinos last weekend.  There were still lots of mt. quail.  They were flushing pretty far out though.

Without a dog, I was able to bag only two, which to me is a good trip.

I'm busy this weekend, so last weekend was my season closer.  What a great season it was.  Let's hope for many more years like this one.

Mojave

Reaction score
I have been frustrated much of the season, with work, travel, and a busted Jeep keeping me from getting out. We got out in a sandwash for a couple hours on Saturday, to shake down the new radiator and chase a few quail. Saw a small covey of about 10 birds, and got off a few shots, but brought nothing home to put in the pot, as we were without the dogs, and the quail outran and outfoxed us. I hope to get in a few last hours hunting this weekend, near the Shadow Mountains.

JesterSoCalifa

Reaction score
Well gents, my quail chasing days for these season ended friday with a limit harvested from three diff. locations. Having more than half a dozen or so honey holes this year really paid double dividends. Best quail season my posse has ever done regarding harvesting birds but more important, it allowed time in the field with friends to take in the outdoors, thank god for the privileges we are allowed in the united states and strengthen the bond and ties with my hunting partners and even a few new ones. We will be doing some ringnecks at Mikes club in Norco I suppose a few times before that deal is over. Were looking forward to next year and with the time I'm spending with my 8mo gsp "shelby" it should only get better. I've seen a lot of posts talking up apple valley for harvesting quail so were definetly going to scout it, first from the air and then from the ground before summer hits. Would like to take some yoties in the foothills all around the 15 & 215 interchanges and or the high desert. Anyone willing to do this or has been doing this and could stand another shooter please let me know. Will be posting this also in the Varmit section. Hope eveyones season was safe and fun! Fly low and avoid that radar.

docramo

Reaction score
Just finished our Ca.season today. Maneged to bag 4more chuks + 3 valley quail. Weather was pretty nasty to go along with the usual chukar terrain. Boy our dogs feet are tired just like ours. Great Ca. season this year. Pray for rain in the next feww months.

rlwright

Reaction score
Tried my luck saturday morning for chukar on the middle ord mtn. Got skunked, all I saw were cows. Would have liked to explore more of the mtn. but the dogs feet were still scabbed up from monday, so I had to get her off of them. On the way back I tried to find some spots on stoddard ridge for next year. Looking forward to turkey season in two months, I'll be going up north to squaws leap.  

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Oh well, skunked on my only quail hunt this year.  Got in late on Saturday, and the only covey I saw flushed at 100 yards.  That didn't bode well, and it only got worse as the rain came in.  

Sunday morning with the fog and misting rain, I didn't even hear a call until 1000.  Covered an awful lot of ground, found some REAL fresh pig sign (I sense a return trip in the near future), but not so much as a shot fired at quail.

Got back to the truck to break camp.  Just loaded the last dripping tarp as the sun came breaking out.  I imagine the afternoon hunt was pretty good.  I should've stayed.

Tried to cut across from Clear Creek to the New Idria Mine (anyone else know that road).  Got REAL slippery up near the top, and snow was just starting to stick.  4 miles from the destination, the road was closed!  Tried the detour but scared the hell out of the rest of my crew (my daughter and girlfriend... and made myself a little nervous for a minute there too).  Turned back, 10 miles back down the mountain, and took pavement back to the home front.  

Along the way I was amazed at the number of pigs we saw out in the open.  All on private property, of course, but just driving me bonkers!  It's time to plan some pig hunts!  

songdog

Reaction score
How about a JHP pig hunt?  Lots tougher than coyotes but you could put more than a few guys in the Clear Creek BLM area without too much trouble.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Sounds like fun, Songdog.  Maybe bring it up again on the Hog forum...  I think it's been mentioned.  Clear Creek would probably not be the optimal place, though.  Not enough pigs, and too many dirt bikes.

Mojave

Reaction score
We managed to get out for 2 shorty quail hunts on the desert flats on Saturday. Never made it up to the Shadows. We busted up about 1/4 of our "home covey", which is reduced to around 2-300 birds this time of year. By the final outing of the day, which had us shooting until last light, we each fell just short of a limit. We would have gone out again on Sunday, but my hunting partner ran a nail clean through his foot on Sat, and my son and I didn't have the heart or the wind to chase them alone. The idea of a pig hunt is appealing, but I raise and slaughter 2 pigs each year, so I am a little spoiled when it comes to pork. I'm considering Arizona for Javalina next season, instead.

SHOOTER

Reaction score
Going to take my daughter this weekend my father and my baby bro and I killed 17 last weekend hope to duplicate this weekend!

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Shooter,

Welcome to Jesse's forum.  You're lucky that you still have quail open down there.  Where are you hunting, anyway?

Regards,
Paul

Top Bottom