Late Season...1st Turkey...What a Great Time

Portuguese Pointer

Reaction score
After my first turkey outing I see what all the excitement is about. Visited an out of area spot on a combined business/R&R trip that happened to still have an open turkey season this last weekend so took advantage in the free time. Scouted solo Thursday night and saw a couple of Toms and several hens. Then headed out Friday a.m. with a local & experienced guide. Really glad I used a guide and learned a ton about turkey and even some elk hunting in the 2 hours it took to harvest the Tom. Kind of hooked now and will definitely go again.

Couple of pics of the outing and local wildlife.

Bear from a game cam 5/15.

Attachments

asaxon

Reaction score
Congratulations. Nice bird and sure is fun watching them and feel you heart rate go through the roof as they get close. Highly addictive and cure rates for this addiction are very low. The treatment protocol is to make you sit in the freezer at Lucky's (Albertson's whatever) with all the frozen turkeys while making turkey calls.

What general area/state was this with antolope, elk etc?

Sounds like the guide was a big help - having an experienced hunting hand is priceless although it looks like he could use some help with photography. As much as I like the look of your boots, what happened to your head?

Portuguese Pointer

Reaction score
asaxon,

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Upland game is quick and reactionary. But all the glassing, calling, gobbling, and turkey strutting gets a person worked up when that one shot opportunity comes into play. Very cool experience and an excellent tasting game bird. Served 12 gourmet wild turkey burgers this holiday weekend during a bbq and everyone enjoyed immensely.

I was in the Laramie mountain range in SE Wyoming (Wagonhound). A very special place. Went there a couple of years ago and I'll be putting in my preference points starting this year for elk. They have a ton of wildlife there.

Happy harvesting,
PP

Top Bottom