Latest Cam design IR Ready

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
I just completed my latest cam and thought I would share it with everyone.

Its a D-380 camera made for on/off style control. Aeh Flash gasket, Jons slave flash built in Rs Box, Univ Pix controller board with standoff platform to house battery and neaten loose wire appearance.

Slave is run off 4 D cells in a modified D cell battery holder, The lens is a UV Filter as well as cams flash

I made this setup for IR and Whiteflash use. For Ir use I just add 2 layers of Edmunds 1" dia material on the inside of the case for the cams flash. for the slaves flash it slides under the Rs Box and is held in place with a slide setup I made for that to be changed out for Ir or white flash design.

I built it in a SE 120 case and did 3D Camo effect.. was all a tight fit, but thats why the modified battery holder and platfrom for pix board, made for a pretty clean setup.

I really like the design and door mounted makes for quick access to everything. I put together some pics on my webshots if you care to check it out

Heres some pics> Let me know if its not working for you, I seem to always get that link thing messed up!!!

Heres the pics>

Se120 build 380 cam, pix controller, slave flash, bungee ancoring system

Dan "Obh"

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
OBH... That is an awesome setup as usual.. You do some very good work!!

ghoot

Reaction score
That's one of the nicest setups around! Love the way you handled the 9V battery problem. What camera did you take those pics with? They are very clean.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Scooby,

The battery holder for the 9 Volt came from Mouser.

CoonDog,

Thank you. Im pretty happy with how it came out

Ghoot,

Thanks alot. I wanted a lil cleaner look, and came up with that idea, worked out pretty well. The pics were taken with an Olympus C-750. same cam I take with me when stand hunting. takes pretty good pictures.

Dan

D Letho

Reaction score
Dan ,

Good looking setup !

Are you using the 1" stand offs for the U-board or did you cut them down a bit ?
Was wonder how far you have your board to the frens lens .

For some reason I just had to cut the 1" standoff in half on one of my cams . It would not pick up anything farther than 20 feet away . Cut them down to 1/2" and it is back to where it was in range . All my cams were made with the same jig.

Rest of my cams pick up fine with the 1" distance .

Thanks

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Don,

I made those standoffs.

I used an #8 x 32 thread 2" bolt thru the front of the case, then used plastic ice maker supply tubing the stiff stuff and cut them to 9/16" and layed the U pix baord over that, then used small 1/16" nylon bushings over the 8x32 bolts up against the pix baord, then screwed nuts down the 8x32 bolts, this locks the pix board in place.

then I cut another 4 3/4" standoffs and placed them over the 8x32 bolts and sat fluch onto of the pix boards locking nuts,
then used the alluminum that came with the rs box and cut and fabbed a plate with 4 holes, basically a template of the pix board and set that over the board on the standoffs. and locked in place wuth 4 #8 x 32 nuts.

Mounted a 9 volt battery holder on top and wired it underneath to the switch and baord thru the vdc inpit. worked out pretty clean. I dont like the look of wirs stretching across the case and wanted to make it a cleaner appearance.

Dan

Ocmulgee Ogre

Reaction score
Dan,
Simply awesome work!

Once you mount your IR material, I'd like to see some more pictures posted on how you mount it to the UV lense and the slave flash.

Was the D battery holder originally a 2 cell holder? It looks like it might have been and you cut it in half to accommodate 4 cells.

DropTheHammer

Reaction score
Dan,

Thats a pretty sweet layout you got there. Just ordered 2 PIXCONTROLLER-U boards today. One to build my dad a unit with his D360L, the other for my D308 IR cam #3 also in an SE120.

I like the way you secured the camera. I used small eye screws and a bungee to horizontally secure my last couple of cams, its worked out great so far, but I like your vertical arrangement better.

What are you using for bungee hooks? looks like a retrofitted hinge off something.

Nice clean job.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
DTH...

Nice setup you have there as well... I really like everthing mounted to the door, makes it very easy to access.

The Bungee latch setup are hinges.

the stationary half is a regular 1 1/4" Boxed hinge split in half. and the 2 ring part is used. it acts as the holder for the cut ends of the bungee.

the other side is a 1 1/2" Tee Hinge with the tee hinge part peened over to act as a clasp to grab the bungee when its folded over. real fast and easy, and a snap to makeup.

SE120 case gets tight fast, But I like the latch and seal better on it for these setups.

Dan

pocomoke

Reaction score
I dont know why,but everytime I look at a post by Dan I am just amazed.I mean everytime I say to myself,wow that cam looks great,you could not build a cleaner looking system or wow that is a hugh buck,no way will he get a better pic then this.

Then he makes another post with a nicer looking cam then last time or a buck bigger then the last pic..Dan that is some great work.You give us all something to shoot for....

eman

Reaction score
Dan,

That is a really nice setup. I really like the easy access to the camera. How long do you think you could leave this setup in the woods before the batteies wear down? Also are you going to secure it with a lock of any type? I would sure hate to have that nice of a setp stolen.

Keep up the good work

Eric

RtWill78

Reaction score
Wow, that is nice OHB!

I am building my first right now (staying up late, during lunch hour, all the time) I started a couple of days ago, and I am using the SE300 (about the same size as the 1150) and the SeaHorse cases are great. I could have used a smaller case but then again you never know when you'll need to store some food or an extra change of clothes inside your cam.

I used your bungee & hinge setup and it works great. I will post pics in a couple of days, but I am waiting on my PIX Univ. board it's in the mail ( I already drilled out using Bill's template, so we'll see) and I have mounted it alot like you have there, but I used the RS Box 1802 4"x2"X1" and cleaned it out and secured it over the board with wing nuts. I also am using AEH's gasket and it's great. Anyway, looks great Dan.
God Bless,
Ryan
ps. I am filled with Slave control board (Jon's board) envy here, I have the flash, but no board.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom