Lawnmower wont bag efficiently

sean english

Reaction score
Okay. So I come here to get all kinds of questions answered by those who might have experienced it before us. From erectile disfunction (which lots of hunters are apparently suffering from since every hunting magazine is loaded with ads about them) to truck repair to good spots to hunt.
Here is a problem I have been having and I thought some of you might have more experience with:
In northern cal, grass is growing fast this time of year. Its that winter grass that grows fast and then dies as it starts to warm up. I have been trying to keep the back yard mowed but my mower clogs up. Its a pain in the az. I have to stop the engine and empty it and clean around the blade and then start again. Is this type of grass which has a very high water content harder to cut than a normal summer grass? what am i supposed to do? Before it stops, i can here this noise that tells me that around the blade it is clogging up.
Any suggestions as what the problem could be? it is a craftsman and its not selfpropelled. if you wanted the model # or a picture let me know.

Farallon

Reaction score
Raise the cutting height, adjust the wheels. Your experience is similar to mine. When the engine starts to stall out; back up, stop the motor and clear the chute.

Marty

Reaction score
Yes, moist grass is always going to clump up in a push mower. Aside from waiting until it is dry, you may try to mow at the highest deck setting and/or at a half-width per pass and see if the mower can bag the grass. Also, we used to just blow the grass into rows ( without the bag ) and rake it up when done with the mowing.

sean english

Reaction score
Will do. But the grass is not wet from irrigation. Its just got too much juice in it. I will try those methods. Thanks.

#1Predator

Reaction score
My mower came with a plate to cover the discharge opening. I took the grass catcher off then installed the plate. This turned my "grass-catcher" mower into a "mulching mower". I raised the cutting height a little (roughly 1 1/2" height) as well. Now I don't have to empty the catcher and my lawn benefits from the clippings that are redistributed back into the lawn.

dblsmk

Reaction score
Get a high lift blade and don't water the day before you mow. This won't stop the problem, but it should help.

sean english

Reaction score
Whats the high lift blade.
I have not watered since probably September. But with this fast growing winter grass, I have to mow it e3very 5 days.

mtnsammy

Reaction score
My mower came with the wife. She hasn't told me there is a problem in 30 years yet. I guess I could ask her but then I may have to help out too. Never mind she does just fine without me.

jhill528

Reaction score
Also, a good thing to do would be to pull your blade off and give it a good sharpening with a flat file. I did this last week after owning my mower for just a year and it has made all the difference.

Kit Fox

Reaction score
I second the recommendation to sharpen the blade. Also you should consider switching to a mulching blade. The mulching blade causes the grass to be chopped to a finer consistency, which increases bagging performance. You can also skip the bag altogether.

dblsmk

Reaction score
The fellow at the garden center, a lot of years ago when I had a lawn to mow, sold me a blade for cutting rye grass he called a high lift. It had extra tabs on the back edge to create more lift to cut wet heavy grass. It helped quite a bit but sounded like hell. It didn't solve everything, but it did cut down on the problems I had cutting wet grass. Also, as suggested, keep the blade sharp.

Common Sense

Reaction score
My mower came with the wife. She hasn't told me there is a problem in 30 years yet. I guess I could ask her but then I may have to help out too. Never mind she does just fine without me.

Sammy has the best solution. But if that doesn't work for you, don't listen to any of the other advise given here. I have the real solution.

If the grass won't bag; don't cut it. After all, the city won't red tag you until the grass dies this summer and is a fire hazard. At that time, the dead grass will bag much easier. My solution will work, I've done it!

ranchwife

Reaction score
Get some cows or goats! Your lawnmower problems will all be solved then! :smiley_yahoo:

Last edited:

mtnsammy

Reaction score
Blue eyed goats are the best so the farmers of Fontana say.

Top Bottom