Lawsuit to shut San Jacinto down over burrowing owl

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
The ghost of ex manager Tom Paulek and his wife Sue Nash come back to haunt San Jacinto WA.

=========================================================

Buried owl nest sparks suit against Cal agencies

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- An environmental group sued the state over a wetlands expansion project that buried the nest of a protected burrowing owl.

The nonprofit group Friends of the Northern San Jacinto Valley filed a Superior Court suit on Monday against the state Wildlife Conservation Board and the California Department of Fish and Game.

The conservation board approved a $680,000 grant to a nonprofit duck hunting club in February to restore and expand wetlands on 500 acres of the San Jacinto Wildlife Area east of Lake Perris. The Fish and Game Department oversees the area.

Ginny Short, a biologist, said she went to the ground nest on June 30 to place bands on a burrowing owl and a chick in order to track them. She found that a bulldozer working on a berm had buried the nest.

"I'd be willing to bet they were killed," she said of the birds.

Burrowing owls are considered to be a "species of special concern." Their population is falling as their grassland habitat is developed.

The lawsuit contends that the state agencies violated the law by failing to protect the owls.

John Donnelly, executive director of the state board, said Tuesday that the board and the Department of Fish and Game were trying to figure out what happened and how to resolve the issue.

=================================================

If you look at the board of directors of Friends Of Northern San Jacinto Valley you'll see some familiar names.

http://www.northfriends.org/

Rumpled

Reaction score
Link doesn't seem to be working.

I've only met Tom a couple of times; he seemed eager last year to get after pheasant - wasn't sure if he was being an avid hunter, or trying to eradicate the nonnative bird.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rumpled @ Aug 23 2007, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Link doesn't seem to be working.

I've only met Tom a couple of times; he seemed eager last year to get after pheasant - wasn't sure if he was being an avid hunter, or trying to eradicate the nonnative bird.[/b]

Probably a little of both. Tom likes pheasant hunting and his would like to see them eraticated.

This lawsuit doesn't surprise me one bit. I had to deal with this group back in 1994. Led by Mrs. Tom Paulek (Sue Nash, attorney-at-law))They would love to see NO HUNTING at S.J. They must have have come unglued when they saw those earth movers.

faith

Reaction score
Link still not working, You would think a biologist working with these owls would have gave info on there locations to DFG working there and over seeing the project! I dont know if we have to worry about a shut down, if anything they might get the new project shut down till the courts settle the issue. Oh well what can we do but hope for the best and expect the worst!

duckboy1

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spectr17 @ Aug 22 2007, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"I'd be willing to bet they were killed," she said of the birds.[/b]

and they are suing over a i bet they were killed qoute?? where are the dead birds?? if there are no dead bodies then what do you have to go on???

zenhunter

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spectr17 @ Aug 22 2007, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"I'd be willing to bet they were killed," she said of the birds.[/b]

OK, I'll go on record for the defense: "I bet they WEREN'T killed."

Signed,
Neil B.

Quackr Wacker

Reaction score
I’m sorry I know Ginny has put her total heart and sole into this project and the loss of these birds was unfortunate, however being that these did mean so much IMO the owls nest could and should have been marked some how very easily so that they could have stayed away from the area or better yet tried to relocate them to a safe area.

I would like to see them drop this case in exchange for habitat in another area of San J. I am sure most realize this area is more the just hunting and perhaps a volunteer day to set nesting sites can be set up to assure next year they will continue to propagate.

GBCTeal

Reaction score
Dude, owls can fly!!! These owls burrow into the ground but I doubt they would just stay put while the machines excavated them. These owls are alive and most likely setting up house somewhere else.

quack_head

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GBCTeal @ Aug 25 2007, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dude, owls can fly!!! These owls burrow into the ground but I doubt they would just stay put while the machines excavated them. These owls are alive and most likely setting up house somewhere else.[/b]
Actually, they go for cover when threatened. IE there holes. The holes are there protection. They are prey for fox, dogs, coyotes, hawks, badgers, and horned owls. Do not blame the owl for its decline. Development and Ag has the most impact on its decline. Quit building so many dam housing tracts and Costcos.

The problem is these people with hidden agendas such as "ending hunting" take these issues and manipulate it.
The blame should lie on the person or person's in charge of the safety of the habitat. They will sacrifice a endangered species or special interest species to move their cause forward. The real coservationist are the people who respect and enjoy the wildlife and atmosphere of the outdoors. IE Hunters, outdoor adventuress's the key here is respect the wildlife and outdoors. You would not let someone destroy your habitat.

How do you feel today about the over development in our country? Look what has happened over the last couple of decades to the land we used to hunt. If there is a profit to be made we'll make it.

I am a environment concerned person. Not a tree hugger that smokes pot and listen to grateful dead. Just concerned about the direction we are headed in.

P.S. They probably flew away.

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
I read a report last year on the DFG website on a study done on Burrowing Owls. It said they are missing from a huge area that never, as anyone could tell, ever held them in the first place. The conclusion was that they are doing fine where they live and need no special concideration. I can't seem to find that report now.
I do, however have a mitgation plan for the SJ area.
All we need do is trap half of the 750 burrowing Owls that live along Noffsinget rd between Wister and the East Highline canal, and move them to San Jacinto.
I saw more Owls yesterday in the Imperial Valley than I saw Mosquitoes.

zenhunter

Reaction score
Berry, they were lined up on Sinclair, just watching us drive by. The SJWA situation smells like a manufactured crisis.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
We recently had to remove a pretty viscious slam post against Scott Sewell, the manager of SJWA, here by someone who didn't even have the guts to sign their name or phone number. This was this person's very first post which is a huge red flag to start with.

Who would do this you ask?

Some history on antis and how they use the wild wild web to forward their agenda.

In the late 90s on the Bowsite anti hunters attacked the site since bowhunting and sticking sharp arrows into bambi drives them crazy. Naturally some of us bowhunters went over to the anti website to disrupt their place on the web.

What did we learn from that forum battle? Antis are much more organized than hunter groups. Just as us hunters are very passionate about hunting they are just as passionate about stopping us from hunting. The anti sites back then even had playbooks posted online about how to read and disrupt hunting forums. They find out what the hot button issues are and then register to drive a wedge between members they know from reading the forum. This slam piece we pulled was textbook from anti 101. The antis have pulled their playbooks offline but still use those tactics to create chaos among hunters.

Read between the lines and you will find your answers. Bottom line, don't let a total stranger show up and play you and your hunting community. Some have asked me why we axed that slam post. The reason is as plain as the nose on our faces. Antis can't debate hunter groups in the open since they don't have a leg to stand on usually. They do their work in the shadows, keying our trucks when we are out hunting, registering under aliases so they can slander and libel someone and create disharmony among hunters.

Please take minute next time a total stranger joins the discussion and goes right for the jugular. It may not be what it appears. At least ask them to identify themselves so you know who you are talking to.

zenhunter

Reaction score
Divide and conquer...

Amazing how some people just don't get it.

Or maybe they're so into making their point that they'll get in bed with anyone, like Martin Luther King and the American Communist Party.

Quackr Wacker

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zenhunter @ Aug 26 2007, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Divide and conquer...

Amazing how some people just don't get it.

Or maybe they're so into making their point that they'll get in bed with anyone, like Martin Luther King and the American Communist Party.[/b]
Your joking.... right I mean common Zen tell me this was just a bad joke. Never mind sorry I think I got it now.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Qwackr Wacker, take your smear campaign somewhere else. Your constant bashing of Scott at San Jacinto over the past 2 years IS NOT WELCOME here anymore.

Greenhouse

Reaction score
I have never hunted SJ and really don't have much of a leg to stand on. I will say this though, why on gods earth would you attack and ask for the resignation of a refuge manager or supervisor or whatever Scott is. Remember, they are a state employee, ever try to fire one of them? Good luck-If they were a cop or teacher or whatever, its very difficult to remove a state employee. So what gets accomplished by attcking them? They end up doing what anyone would do, stop being available, turn inward, "screw you guys I don't even have to talk to you". And you know what, they don't have to be available and can turn the relationship into a hostile releationship with the folks who are attacking them, and in this case its some of the hunters that use the refuge.

My advise is to BACK OFF. Work with them and not against them. Stop the Internet bashing. And stop being so short sighted, give him a chance, two years is NOTHING. Talk to me after 10.

Tuleman

Reaction score
And why isn't the name of this nebulous "environmental group" being made public????

The media certainly mentioned the CF&G and the Wildlife Conservation Board.....

zenhunter

Reaction score
So true, Greenhouse. Scott has always been accessible and open to suggestions. I hope he stays that way, despite the vendetta (by a very few) that's been waged against him, from even BEFORE he ever set foot on the property.

Jesse, I'm glad someone took a stand, instead of just standing by.

And yeah, Tuleman, isn't it amazing how journalistic curiosity is so selective?

Top Bottom