Lead Sled??

Brnsvllyjohn

I had my first experience with using a Lead Sled last week and was not impressed. I had debated getting one but I would now say no way. It may have just been me but I could never get comfortable with the sled and shoot a decent group. I gave up and went back to old style bags that I am used to. The owner of the sled did not do any better than I did so I have to question why you would use one if you cannot get comfortable and hold the gun steady. Any other guys here have Lead Sleds and if you do what are your opinions of the sled?

Bubblehide

I have used them. It takes a little bit to get in a good shooting position, but I can, and they have worked well for me. You just need to keep in mind that they do move a bit each time you shoot the, so you may need to re-position them/mark where you set them up on the shooting bench... If you can't get into a good shooting position, I'd stay away from them.

#1Predator

It takes some getting used to but I've used one for about 10-12 years now. I use it for handload development. It takes a while to get everything adjusted right but, once adjusted, I've found the sled will eliminate most of the human error factor. I lightly touch the trigger and lightly steady the forearm of the rifle when I shoot. There's no other human contact with the rifle. Readjustment is needed after each shot but I'm not in a hurry when I'm working up a handload. The sled makes a good cleaning rest. Once I'm done shooting, I place something under the butt end of the sled so the muzzle is lower than the action and I clean the rifle at the range.

KTKT70

Do you find this the best way to get a gun ready for the season? I'm going to get my gun back soon and will need to sight it in. Was thinking the laser bore plug thing looks cool. Says less shots to get ready? Any info?

#1Predator

Do you find this the best way to get a gun ready for the season? I'm going to get my gun back soon and will need to sight it in. Was thinking the laser bore plug thing looks cool. Says less shots to get ready? Any info?
I favor live shooting over electronic gizmos. I only use the sled for load developing or sighting in a newly mounted scope. Once I find a good handload, I prefer to shoot from positions I would normally use in the field (standing, sitting, kneeling, prone) using the things I normally take into the field (Harris bipod, Bogpod shooting sticks, etc.). Hope this helps.

OPAH

I've tried the laser bore thing seemed not to do much more than to get you on the paper, my rifle rest goes with me, fully and quickly adjustable, the elevating chair makes changing shooters a breeze.

eoats

I got one for my 30-06& it didn't save me much if any shots.

KTKT70

Thank you for the heads up. I should have my 30-06 soon and do to age would like to fire as little as I can. It will have lots of new parts and should not have any trouble, but want another 40+ years out of it. Maybe I'm over thinking, when it comes to babying my hand me down gun.

mischief209

Laser is only designed to get you on paper, you have to due the rest live, so yes it will save in ammo in that regard. The better the brand of rest the better experience you will have, the lightweight once from Walmart jump around to much after the shot, a good Caldwell or heavier the better. I like to set the rest up on a table and then ratchet strap the rest down as tight as I can go. It will move slightly but easier for me to readjust vs the whole thing kicking and moving farther

Where's Bruce?

Lead sled is crap. You want a solid and versatile rest that won't damage your stock and improve your accuracy? This is it!

[video=youtube;OMStclGDCIw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMStclGDCIw[/video]

My daughter shoots my 300winmag using it and the rifle stays on target after each shot. Best bag there is! She was shooting at 300 yards, the scope was zeroed at 200.

View attachment 87972
View attachment 87973

Last edited:

Top Bottom