Lead

Hog slayer

Reaction score
I need to purchase some lead for casting. I plan on using it just for plinking with my pistols loads. I had a bunch of lead given to me and now its gone. Leads wheel weighs no where to be found either. My question is on ordering lead. I have seen pure lead but not sure if that is safe for shooting in a 45 APC moving out about 850 FPS. I have seen lead with tin and other metal in it for hardness. Any suggestion when it comes to ordering lead for shooting.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
For simplicity, linotype is always best. It's already alloyed with tin and antimony so there's nothing to do. Finding some is quite another issue.

I wouldn't recommend straight wheel weights for anything other than an in-line muzzle loader; they're OK fort that, but not ideal for the higher pressures you'll find in a smokeless powder cartridge.

If you're going to purchase the components, your best bet is to buy pure lead and alloy with tin and antimony. I don't know the percentages right off the top of my head, but they're readily available in the various loading books. I always deferred to Lyman; they seem to be much better at the casting information than most of the other publications.

You can also search JHO for old posts by one of our members AMMOe. Andy has cast quite a bit and has posted some very useful information in the past. I seem to remember that he likes to alloy with chilled shot. Hmmmmmm, I may have have to drum up some of those old posts myself....

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Since I have not loaded lead shot for shotguns in a few years I have been giving my 25 pound bags of shot away to guys who cast their own lead balls for old traditional muzzle loaders. I am now out of lead shot but you might find someone near you that has excess large lead shot. Not much use for shot over a #6 any more. You can still shoot clay targets in most areas so small lead shot has some value. I gave away #2 and #4. Some of it was really hard premium shot. Just an idea.

Hog slayer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I located reloading supply warehouse that I use to order some buffalo bullets for my sharps 50/90, they have a lot of different lead for different loads. I going to put in an order soon. I talked to an employee on the phone and he suggested just for plinking to use 21% lead to 1% tin. He said this is very popular among shooters, even though there are other recipes for lead.

ltdann

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I located reloading supply warehouse that I use to order some buffalo bullets for my sharps 50/90, they have a lot of different lead for different loads. I going to put in an order soon. I talked to an employee on the phone and he suggested just for plinking to use 21% lead to 1% tin. He said this is very popular among shooters, even though there are other recipes for lead.
21% lead, 1% tin.. what's the rest?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom