Leica LRF 800

lintongb

Reaction score
I just bought a NIB LRF 800 for $350.  I have checked around and I think that is a pretty good price by what I have seen.  I remember a while back that there were some problems with them.  Is that a cleared up?  I am hoping that since this is a new pair there won't be any problems.  Does anybody have any experience with them?

bomber136

Reaction score
I just tested the Nikon Laser 800 , Nikon Buckmaster 400, Bushnell Pro 800, Bushnell Pro Scout at Redhead and the Leica LFR 800.  Here's my summary.  The Buckmaster is garbage.  The readout is red and would be very difficult to read in low light conditions.  I had a tough time reading it in the store.  I have heard so many good things about the Leica however...  While shooting numerous animals around the store from 10 to 50 yards 4 models read within 1 or 2 yards and the Leica always read 4 to 5 yards less than the others.  I did not have an exact measure of distance so the conclusion is that 4 models are AFU or the Leica is garbage. You make the call. Maybe it was a faulty model.  Unknown, however I saw enough to ensure I wasn't going to spend the extra 100 dollars.  The Bushnell and Nikon 100s were very compatible.  Easy to read symbology and easy to use.  The Bushnell was on sale at Redhead for 299 so it would have been my choice between the two.  The one problem with both the models was size.  They were easy to use with one hand however they would consume a fair amount of realestate on your chest.  The Nikon would range down to 18 yrds and the Bushnell down to 16.  Both are rated down to 20 but I would expect that min values vary from unit to unit.  The Scout was very nice.  Very small (good for bowhunter) and easy to read.  It would range down to about 9 yards.  Not sure if the min range is that much of a bonus as I use the same pin for 20 yrds in.  The one feature it did not have was the rain mode.  Because I have never used one I am unsure if this is important.  I am leaning toward the Scout now but have not decided between that and the Bushnell.  I will have to decide soon because the guys at Redheads are sick of me hanging around there counter.  Any comments to help me decide would be welcome.

lintongb

Reaction score
Well I just got my rangefinder in the mail yesterday and had a chance to mess around with it.  I was a little sceptical at first because I have heard conflicting arguments.  I guess time will tell.  I do like the size and the red LED.  It is pretty easy to use too.  The only thing I have to compare it to is one of the older Bushnell 400 models.  It is quite a bit smaller and easier to read.  As for accuracy I don't really know yet but it seems to be consistant.  I look forward to using it on my Utah hunt in a couple of weeks.

MOTX Hunter

Reaction score
The lieca LRF800 did have some gliches in a small number of the first shipment. Basically, the chip in the affected units had too light a soldering on one of the circuits allowing for the unit to malfunction or in a couple of cases, not function at all. Leica stopped shipments for about 5 months and came up w/ the fix. Basically, they added additional solder and added a redundant circuit so this wouldn't happen again.
I have had both a pre-problem and a post problem unit and loved them both. (I sold the pre-problem unit to a friend and bought me another. And yes, he's still a friend and his unit has NEVER had a problem!)
I took my unit on a Colorado Elk hunt this year and ranged 'hard' targets up to 865yds. All my buddies around here in Mo love to 'borrow' my LRF800 whenever they can (which is VERY seldom).
The Nikon units are decent units, but for the optics and precision in the LEica, I'll stick w/ the LRF

Huntinut

Reaction score
I bought a Leica 800 last year and used it in Utah and In Montana on deer hunts. It was the best thing I have bought for my hunting in years. I was able to range both animals before I killed them. The first was at first light and it looked a lot further than 188 yards, but it was right on the money. The buck in Montana was at dusk and the rangefinder told me it was 842 yards to a rock shelf he was under. I put a stalk on him and closed it to less than a 100 yards and shot from the top of that shelf straight down on him. Needles to say my father bought one also and it was the big hit in camp with everyone wanting to use it. Stay with the Leica and you will be verry pleased.
Andy

Latest Posts

Top Bottom