LENSES FOR CAM ....PROBLEMS

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
I HAVE JUST GOT MY PICS BACK FROM A FULL 2 DAYS IN THE WOODS, AND WELL FLASH BACK, AT NTE. HOW? HMMM? CRAP? SEALED SO TIGHT HMMM? AHHHH...I USED ONE PIECE TO COVER BOTH HOLES...FLASH BLED THROUGH THE GLASS, EVEN IF THE LENS IS COMPLETELY COVERED AND SEALED GOOD. SO SPLIT LENSES IS GONNA BE BEST. MAY EVEN WANT TO COLOR EDGES WITH HAND PAINTED BLACK PAINT. IT IS LIKE FIBER OPTICS. ONCE IN, IT RUNS THROUGH THE ENTIRE GLASS. I HOPE THIS MAY HELP SOMEONE, IF ANY ONE HAS ALSO FOUND THIS OUT ..WRITE IT FER US..HEY THANKS A LOT FOR THE SITE IM A CAMERA MANIAC NOW WORKIN ON #4.......I NEED PSYCIATRIC HELP I THINK..YIKES

>-BOHUNTER->

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Hmmm, one of my cams has a single peice of glass for both the lens and flash,but i dont get any flash bleed,maybe all that means is i was lucky.

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
im using 1/4 inch plexiglas, (free) so it may just bleed cause it is so thick.light transfer greater.but i solved that cut and left 1/8 inch gap then used black paint between them..hopefully that cures it thanks though fer the response , these are to help others starting out...

homer

Reaction score
BOHUNTER,  How is your picture quality using the 1/4" plexiglas?

Possum

Reaction score
I think it depends on the type of glass used or maybe the production process of the glass.  I used 1 piece on all my cams and never had a problem.  If I had flash bleed it could always be traced back to not enough foam around the lens.  That is why I think it depends on the glass.  I guess if you use two pieces you won't take the chance of that kind of flash bleed.

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
whats funny homer is i have 2-3 that are crystal clear and 4-5 that ar so foggy lookin ..my friend uses glass and his has the same comsistancy ... foggy, clear, foggy, foggy, clear. i hope this fixes mine ..have them out rght now ...backyard with a lil tunafish for the takin....i have a cut lil fox out hee and a fat possum.. >-bohunter->

deerdad

Reaction score
Thats one thought I had when I was doing mine.
Getting the refills were no problem but then I was          wondering if it would transfer light throughout the
entire glass. I ended up going to a glass shop and getting
some 1 3/4 in. square pieces 1/16-1/8 in.thick. I ran a bead
of RTV sealer between the two pieces after they were
in the box and haven't had any problems with the flash
bleed. Of course you still have to make sure you have a good seal around the shutter lens so the flash won't bounce
back into it. I found it easier to seal around the shutter than the flash itself.

Greg

abedford

Reaction score
I had one piece of glass in my first two cams and had a minor flash bleed problem, but it went from minor to MAJOR when any moisture got on the glass in front of the lens.  It appears that a droplet of moisture on the lens would give the light traveling horizontally through the glass a place to "bend" and cause big, bright white glaring orbs on the picture.  My new cams (with two separate pieces of glass) will occasionally show a blur from a water droplet, but it doesn't give this washed out glare as before.

Archer64

Reaction score
I'm building my first cam and was wondering the same thing. Now I'll definitely go with separate lenses.  I found a local frame shop that'll give me scrap glass.  I bought a cheap glass cutter from the hardware store and with a little practice can now cut just about any shape.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
They have the UV camera lens filters on clearance at my Best Buy for $7.50. They also have another brand for $7.99 regular price. Can anyone see a difference when you use the UV filters vs. plexiglass or glass?

jayber

Reaction score
Coyotebandit,
Some have seen an improvement with using a filter instead of plain glass.  Somebody posted pictures awhile back showing the difference.....forgot which thread.  Others have had success with welder's glass.  I have used plain glass up to this point, but have a camera in the works with a UV filter.  Going to do a side-by-side test once complete to compare picture quality for myself.

abedford

Reaction score
My last cam uses a UV filter instead of standard glass and it takes the best pictures of the three I own by far.  One of the other two uses the exact same Owl PF, so the UV filter is the only difference.  I bought two UV filters from Ebay for $10 shipped.  For that price, I am going to retrofit my first two cams.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I'm sure you all already know this, but after looking at the UV filters, they are one way optics. You will notice a difference if you flip them around and compare.Make sure you don't put them on backwards. I'm not sure if they are all like this, but the Tiffen brand I bought are.

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
******, dude i was in your neck of the woods. 20 miles north of peoria illinois......soybeans and corn...paradise!! shot him the last day..we leased 250 acres for the year....pope and young 150 7/8 official.....thanks comin back i hope!

jayber

Reaction score
BoHunter,
You've got a good lease area there (as you already found out).....they kill a lot of BIG deer down there.  Congrats on yours by the way.  I hunt the north end of the state and we're workin' on raising a few big ones of our own.  :smile-blue

ARKBOWHUNTER

Reaction score
Since I know a little about optics, I'll put my 2 cents worth in here.  If you want the best quality pics you need to stick with a UV filter on the  camera lense. I feel that welders glass or plan glass will work on the flash.  When you use other types of glass you run the risk of getting distortions or poor quality images.  

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
WELL GOT MY NEWLY IMPROVED CAM PICS THIS MORNIN AND YAHOOOO ALL CLEAR AS THEY WERE IN DAYLIGHT. I HAVE HALF A FOX" MUST HAVE BEEN RUNNN" A BLINDED CAT AT 2 FEET AND 9 DAMN PICKS OF MY DOG..WHAT THE HECK!!! BUT NITE PICS ARE CLEAR NO FOG. IM VERY SATISFIED!

******, I PAID 500 BUCKS FOR MY 1/3. DUNNO WHAT OTHERS COST, WE LEASED FROM AN OLD LADY THERE...

THAT BOW IS AN OLD PERSON SPOILER, MCPHEARSON ARCHERY PRODUCTS, WHEELS BABY....I SHOOT OVERDRAW AND SPITFIRES. LIKE A 92 MODEL I THINK. HAD NEW LIMBS AND PINS PUT IN A FEW BACK..SHOOTS GOOD..WE ALL 3 SHOT A BUCK UP THERE AND MY BUD SHOOTS LOGS WITH HIS." I MEAN LIKE 30" STICKS" ENGINEER..BLA BLA BLA...STILL NO PASS THROUGHS ALL SHOTS WITH IN 23 YARDS...UNREAL

BUCK WEIGHED 265LBS AND WAS 4 1/2, RIGHT PLACE PERFECT SHOT , ALL WORKED OUT PERFECT!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
You guys have definitly convinced me that the UV filters improve pix quality.  They also give the enclosure a clean, professional look somehow.

I built a camera (named Old Ponderous) about 5 years ago with a single pane of glass and seldom experienced Flash Bleed Thru as long as the camera was up against the "Flash Guard" properly (piece of PVC) .  Well, actually I used Plexiglass 1st but it started getting scratched up so went to a piece of glass from a pix frame (about 4 X 5")

Example with Plexiglass (1/8" thick)

and that <IS> a Super Buck, I been meaning to ask about that critter.  Hope my 32" arrows with Spitfires run into one half that size some day......WOW !

Thanx for the reports guys

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
BoHunter,
Is the only difference between the two pics UV filter and not?  Cause to me it looks like the second one is getting flash bleed and this can cause the foggy appearance as well.

Top Bottom