• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Leupold Vari X II and III

Brnsvllyjohn

I have been happy with my Leupold Vari X 2 and 3 scopes and was looking for opinions on the new Vari X 2 scopes. For the cost I think the 2 seems to be a decent deal and I have never had one of my Leupolds Vari X 2 scopes move once sighted in or nor have I ever had one fog up. I have a gun that I would like to change from another brand and was just looking at the 2 verses the 3. And yes I will stay with Leupold. Looking at the 4-12.

Brnsvllyjohn

I purchased the Leupold VX-2 4-12 with the LR Duplex reticle. It is clearer than my other Leupolds and that includes a 25 year old Vari X III. I have been to the range 3 times since I installed the scope and I am happy with the results. I bore sighted before the first time I went out so I was on the paper immediately, actually when I tried to bore sight it it was so close I didn't bother making any adjustments I just went to the range. After firing 2 shots at 100 I needed to adjust up a little and slightly to the left and I moved it exactly the number of clicks that were required and hit the bulls eye on the next 2 shots so with 4 shots I was in the bull at 100 yards. That was with older Nosler partitions and I am now hunting with copper so I had to do some slight adjustments for the Trophy Copper loads. I like to take my time when fine tuning and I like to shoot with a cold barrel for the final adjustments. This gun tends to walk high and to the right after 4-5 shots so I go back multiple times to the range and really concentrate on my first 2 shots for any fine tuning. Todays first 2 shots at 200 were 2" left of where I wanted to be so 4 clicks to the right and fire 3 more. Good but the last one was slightly right of center. I then shot another gun and waited forever for my barrel to cool before I fired my last 2. They were perfect so I think I am done. 200 yards 2 shot group was less than an inch so I called it good for the day with those loads. I then tried a few Barnes 140 gr. Tipped TSX BT in my 7 mag and they shot about a 2" group at 100 so the Trophy Coppers are better in that gun. I decide since this scope was so clear and has the long range reticle to install it on my main gun which is a 7 mag and move the Var X III to the gun I was thinking of when I made the initial purchase. Slightly more magnification and a little clearer so it goes on my main gun.

k_rad

Very interesting about waiting for a cold barrel for final shots... I would consider the VX3i. Incredibly clear and bright in low light! So much so that when it is too dark to see in the morning I can see clearly through the scope. Going to make it hard to wait till legal light if I have a trophy standing there. Worth a look...

send from my stupid smart phone...

Brnsvllyjohn

K-rad I would not disagree with you about a new VX-3 being slightly brighter than a VX-2 but I have no complaints with any of my Leupolds for over all brightness. I do carry Swarovski 10x42 binos for glassing and they are very good. Over the years I have had a couple of guns that walk slightly as the barrel warms so shooting with a cold barrel for a double check has been a habit for years. In the family my sons feather weight with a Shilen barrel is probably the most accurate gun when cold but also tends to be the one that walks the most. I am only talking about a couple of inches difference at 200 yards between a cold barrel and one that has had 10 rounds fired through it. It also seems to me that the copper projectiles either walk more or heat the barrel quicker and that causes the point of impact to change. I don't recall 10 rounds having as much effect on this gun when I was shooting the older ammo. After firing 10 rounds now my barrel feels really hot but I shouldn't have to fire 10 rounds at an animal so I figure the first 1-2 are the ones that really count. I shoot a lot of 2-3 shot groups anymore when just verifying zero. Ammo is expensive.

Slobbermouth

I have a 3X9X40 VXII on my 300 Bar. My Son shot a buck last year at first light we ranged at 300 after it was a done deal. All I could see were shadows at 16 power with my scope. I just bought a Vortex 3.5X10X50 to replace the 16 power not because I found anything wrong with the VX it is a very nice scope. I just heard alot of good things about Vortex and wanted to give it a try. So far im impressed but I have yet to mount it yet ?

Brnsvllyjohn

What scope is the 16 power? I have a 3x9x40 VXII and a 2.5x8 VXIII. Never had an issue at first or last light that I can remember. I do think the new scope is brighter than any of the others I own. Only time will tell how well it holds up.

Slobbermouth

It's a 4X16X40 Tasco that ive had on my model 700 since the mid 90's. The problem with the scope is my eyes are old ! other than that its perfect LOL.

Top Bottom