lightning strike

passgas55

Reaction score
Did anyone walked up to their cam and the electronics was gone ? I am asking because I am thinking of doing solar power for a dig cam long term set up  and lightning strikes was a concern of mine. A direct strike and you can forget about it but you can protect from near strikes. Hey ******, you don"t sell ground rods and static dissipators?:crazeye: Well anyway I am thinking of more in line a 6 volt recharge feeder batt for dig cam setup and solar 125 ma panel with sealed lead acid 6 volts for external flash mounted in another box with just the led trip sensor going to cam box. I will need a 3/4 ton 4 wheeler. The area where I am at is pretty secure so stealing is not an issue. David

(Edited by passgas55 at 8:05 am on July 21, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi P55,
Had one of my ancient 'sensorless' cams get fried.  The thing had a 25 foot wire going from the cam to a magnetic switch in a dummy nest.  Lightning must have struck nearby and some of the current went up the wires into the cam and let the smoke out of some bits in the cam.  Only happened once so far....

Archilochus

buckmarkhnter

Reaction score
I got a picture of lightening striking a salt block, about ten ft from my cam. It scared a big doe she ran off over the hill.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
gee Don, that would have sent me over the hill too LOL....
can you post that pic, I'd like to see that. Did the salt block explode??

vman

Reaction score
buckmhunter,
I would like to see that pic also,  sounds like a good one.

Zeke

Reaction score
yeah....Lets see it Don. That would be a cool pic.

I always wondered if lightning would set it off.

gizz

Reaction score
I had a cam out last year in the late summer that didn't work after i went back to pick it up after a night of SEVERE storms. When i tore into the MS20 it visually looked fine but it simply would not work. No way No how! After further review I found some transistors on the MS20 had "burnt" spots on them and they smelled like burnt plastic. I tried replacing them from a test ms20 i had laying around but it still couldn't get it to work. Had to be nearby lightning. Oh, BTW, the 9V relay was no longer working as well. I saved it for use on another PIR and when I soldered it in place it did not work.
BTW, I'd like to see that lightning pic as well - That'd be Too Cool!

shufigo

Reaction score
I bet there wouldn't be any problem trailing that doe for the first 50 yards -- just watch where you step!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom