Limiting PIR side to side range

treestandman2

Reaction score
I am in the process of building my first game camera and I am using the Lamson PIR.  I don't know if this makes a difference or not as to the PIR but I have read everything I can find and nobody has mentioned limiting the side to side detection of the PIR.  What happens if it picks up motion too soon and the camera fires before the deer is in front of it.  That is what it looks like can happen.  Then if the camera has a delay the deer is long gone.  I read about the second picture but what about the flash recycle time?  I have been thinking of shielding the sides somewhat so the deer is closer to the camera when it fires.  I also noticed some of the game trailtimers use a narrow beam.  Any one have any ideas on this?  Thanks

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
you can mask off areas of the lens using adhesive tape. Fresnel technologies has a special tape that they use for this purpose, but I think electrical tape would work just as well. You mau have to experiment with placement until you get the beam pattern that you want.

Stever

Reaction score
I use a rs pir and mask off all but the center three bars witho camo duct tape.
It gives me fewer pictures but all of the pictures have the subject very close to center. I am sure it is the same with ms20

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
I attached a 4 inch section of 3 inch PVC in front of the PIR to address this issue. Seems to work well. It also helps reduce misfire due to the sun.

davered1

Reaction score
most pir run about 1" square of lens,you may need a bit more if you are running the PF but start with a inch and if you get lots of BUTTS in your pics and no head shots you need to expose a little more,same goes if you get just head shot you need to cover up a bit more.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Hello folks,

i use the Lamson units now for all of my cams and i use a 1  to 1 1/8 inch hole for the fresnal lense for the P.I.R. to look thru and it seems to work just fine this way.

i mount my P.I.R. inside the unit with the fresnal lense mounted flat inside. NO problems.

Later,

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Im new at this also and had the problem of the deer just stuicking his head in to set off the cam and then nothing. After cutting down the pir on both sides so that there is only an inch in the center it made a big difference . One of the guys on here toold me to try it and it worked grate. Take a look at my first pics and then take a look at the one after cutting down the sensor sides. Just used black tape as a test and then camoed over it with bark once i got it the way it works best. Mike

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hey GeorgiaHunter

Have you noticed more pix's of "no" animals this past spring?

You don't think a bird might take a peek in that tube do you, thinking it'd make a good bird house!   he he,  may be some of your pix's of nothing (experience talking)

Tinhorn  

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
If you use an exterior mount MS20 in the original housing, Mylar veins work well. They can be painted cammo and are adjustable.

Butch

Top Bottom