Lingcod

flingem71

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to mount a lingcod head without buying the molded mounts. I want to use the actual head but I've heard its to greasy of tissue. Anyone?

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using Tapatalk 2

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
I agree...WAY too greasy! You might try finding an old taxi book or video on skin mounting fish with natural heads. If you're not proficient with an airbrush, start practicing. Lings are tough to skin mount, tough to paint...hell, their just tough all around! Did you just save the head after cleaning the fish, or did you skin it back aways with the intent of mounting it?

Here's a link. Skin mount Ling head by non-taxidermist...

http://www.saltwater-index.com/photo/california-lingcod-head?commentId=2693100:Comment:45492&xg_source=activity

Last edited:

flingem71

Reaction score
Atwater, hi. Well, its our time of year to go ling fishin and we usually do pretty fair. I been doing euro skulls and my buddy said we should try a ling head. So this weekend ill have ling to work with. How should I prep a head? Freeze it till I get knowed up on this? Thanks for any tips and the link!

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
While fishing in Baja I caught and I froze this head (25.5lb ling) and gave it to a buddy to create a euro mount...after it thawed it fell apart like Humpty Dumpty. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

30HeadlessJPLing1-med.jpg

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
I think your best approach would be to measure the girth of the fish behind the pectoral fins. Sever the the head an inch or two further back than what you see in the pic. You'll need the extra skin for folding over and attaching later. You'll have some meat left up to the gill plates which could be carefully harvested. Then, freeze the head in a non-frost free freezer to prevent burn. If you have the room, freeze the head in water, if not, bag and wrap it tight, with as little air as possible.

Good luck this weekend! Been chasing Lings all my life, by far my favorite fish...cuz they're purdy...like me...

flingem71

Reaction score
Thanks Bruce

flingem71

Reaction score
Ill give er a shot Atwater. Thanks.

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
Of course, if you were to invite a taxidermist on the fishing trip...well...I've got the tools...let's gamble...!

BigLingAvatar.jpg

44" Lingcod

Last edited:

flingem71

Reaction score
Atwater.... ill post back later on today on that subject!
Nice fish!

flingem71

Reaction score
Atwater, you wanna go next weekend? If so, lets do it!

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
What a shameless plug for an invite! Thanks flingem, I'd love to go, but I'm working 7 days a week right now, probably couldn't get the time. Hope you guys get into them good!

flingem71

Reaction score
Not shameless......I was hoping to get ur help mounting a lingy. I understand the work schedule though. We were gonna go tomorrow but our crusher broke down. Now I'm working the weekend. Would still like to pick ur brain on the mount if its ok. Offer stands to fish with us either way. Always good to meet new people!

Last edited:

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
You bet, more than happy to help out. Tell ya what, next time you guys put a trip together, and if the offer still stands, I could use a day away from the shop. Making new friends while swinging a gaff sounds like a great day to me!

Last edited:

flingem71

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1342664007381.jpg

DISCLAIMER: some of the things I say may be unfiltered, offensive, or even complete B.S.

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
Yeah buddy...that dudes pissed! Nice fish man!

flingem71

Reaction score
Yeah buddy...that dudes pissed! Nice fish man!
Thanks! That dude was a hitch hiker who inhaled a china cod I caught on a anchove. GAF! Any idea where to buy live bait such as bullhead or sardine?

DISCLAIMER: some of the things I say may be unfiltered, offensive, or even complete B.S.

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
All depends on where you're launching from. You can make bait with sabiki rigs, if they're still legal in Ca. Also, sand dabs are excellent ling bait and easy to catch, but again, check the regs for legality.

flingem71

Reaction score
All depends on where you're launching from. You can make bait with sabiki rigs, if they're still legal in Ca. Also, sand dabs are excellent ling bait and easy to catch, but again, check the regs for legality.
Have read sand dabs are good as well. Launching out of morro. Reg says no talipia.... I say the same thing at dinner. We'er gonna try catching dabs on the sand bar early next trip.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
On freezer rockfish trips I catch 80% lings using Jax Jigs and yoyoing. If it's big enough to catch and inhale a Jax, it's a ling. Use a high speed reel, stiff rod (the Calstar 700H is ideal) and put a stinger hook on the top eyelet. Drop to the bottom, yoyo 50-100' and drop again.

On days when there is little wind you can pin a bait to all four hooks and let it flutter to the bottom. I call this "fish the bait ball" and have scored big fish (monster reds and cow cod too) on this as well but for most ling fishing in deeper water, a straight jig tied to FC (no more than 5') to straight spectra is best.

Last edited:

Top Bottom