Lion Stalking- Be careful my fellow bowhunters!

BuckFinder

Reaction score
I decided to get out and explore an new area in our local mountains. After several hours of glassing saw plenty of deer but felt a mile or so lower "looked" more gamey. Got back to the car and drove as close to the area as possible. It was after 9 am and heating up so I locked the car and headed up the hill. What I thought would be a five or ten minute hike over one ridge extended into three ridges. After looking over the country I simply turned around and followed the same trail I had just created. Once I crested the second ridge back to the car I noticed a dark figure in the grass immediatly in front of me on the same grass path I had cut just minutes before. First glance I thought bobcat. Ten seconds later I was face to face at forty yards with mr lion. I held my ground and raised my arms. No movement. Large sticks and logs plus loud yelling..no movement. At this point, with only keys in my pocket and all of my gear, bow, knife, backpack, everything in my car I honestly felt weak. Ten long minutes later he decided to move and I followed that with a nice rock thrown right next to his head. He finally took off. This is the second time I have encountered a bold lion in the forest. After today and the fact that a friend was cornered for 45 minutes by a lion just two years ago, I feel they are more bold than ever. Be careful our there. Lesson learned...ten minutes off the road in the bright sunlight is never a time to hit the hills gearless.

dchunter

Reaction score
Wow, good lesson for all of us. Glad it ended well. I usually at least carry my knife on my side and some pepper spray if I'm not armed. You never know, if it's not you it might be another hunter or you might just even have to save a tree hugger!

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Damn, glad you can tell the tale and you didn't lose your cool.

markt800

Reaction score
dont leave your bow in the car next time and save your deer heard

Chinogoose

Reaction score
dont leave your bow in the car next time and save your deer heard
Not sure why you didnt have your bow in hand as your where hunting right? or where you just glassing? anyways happy you made it out ok.

DirtyDave

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure why you didnt have your bow in hand as your where hunting right? or where you just glassing? anyways happy you made it out ok.
Everyone knows that you always see more deer when you leave your bow/gun in the truck hahaha

Abourda

Reaction score
Precisely the reason I carry a sidearm! Yes, DFG...I'll pay the damn fine and live to see my grandkids. This has gotten way out of hand. Now for clarity, I have absolutely no intention to shoot a lion or kill a deer with my pistol. I have no desire for either! However, I will also not hesitate to defend myself if I come nose to nose with a lion while bow hunting all by myself.

Last edited:

suavegato

Reaction score
as the saying goes for carrying in the city, same would apply during bow season... better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. glad you came out unscathed! Well cept maybe fer your undershorts! :)

DirtyDave

Banned
Reaction score
I always say its Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it

acousticmood

Reaction score
Crazy story - I'll bet that ten minutes seemed like an hour.

Would it be smart or stupid to throw rocks I wonder?

Warning shot if you had a sidearm?

Or is standing there for ten or forty five minutes the best strategy?

What's the best way to handle this?

suavegato

Reaction score
Problem with throwing rocks or sticks is that you have to bend down to pick them up... Not a good idea. Bending down makes it look like you are about to run, and cats chase... and it make you look MUCH smaller and therefore less formidable. If the animal is far enough away that you can pick up some rocks, sticks etc. AND KEEP YOU EYE ON IT, I would probably go that route but if face to face, NEVER BEND DOWN OR TAKE YOUR EYES OFF IT! I also believe you want to stare it down, do not break eye contact. Show it that YOU ARE ALPHA! It is sizing you up, let it know that you are not on the food chain. Stand straight up, put your arms over your head to make yourself look bigger, make lots of loud noise but aggressive noise, not crying or weak noises... Shout, KICK rocks or sticks if you can, maybe even a fake or bluff charge? From everything I've read, heard, been told etc. is the victor is usually the aggressor... So act as big and ominous as you can, throw rocks if you can w/o having to bend over to get them!

I faced down a black bear one time at about 3:00am in my underwear, that had run off with a cooler. I stupidly found myself 100 yards away from camp, in my skivvies, chasing a bear, DUH! Finally he stopped and basically said, what are you going to do? So I stopped, (my dad was also with me) we threw a few rocks, finally one hit the bear right on top of the head and he bolted to the next county...

"IF" you are packing, I would think that a warning shot would be in order if you aren't in a position where you want to / need to kill the cat. But if I fired a warning shot and that didn't scare the Kitty away, I wouldn't waste a single other shot that way!

TonyS

Reaction score
Last year, during bow season, I was hiking up a trail that became covered over with vegatation. As I am noticing the bushes overhead I look directly in front of me on the trail to see that a big tom longtail has just been here. Is he in the bushes with lunch plans? My bow is going to do almost no good in this situation.

But my semi-auto nine should be just fine. Guess what is coming with me this year? Legal or not.

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
I think the average young to medium age male adult can take on a young lion. I've read a story once where this guys female friend was attacked by a lion and he got there and grabbed the lion by the tail and started swinging it like a rag doll.

I think if you are in decent shape you can beat the crap out of a lion. Especially with a knife or stick in your hand. Of course I prefer a handgun. :)

lewdogg21

Reaction score
Mr. Luckypants are you serious? A 70lb lion can and will kill you. They have fangs, claws and strength/speed that is much faster than any human.

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
The story I read was true. The guy said he grabbed the lion by the tail and swung it. He said he was a "big" guy so yeah, if you are built like a linebacker you can do some serious damage to small size lion. However, a full size 150lb male lion will eff you up no matter how big you are.

Orygun

Reaction score
Now for clarity, I have absolutely no intention to shoot a lion
I do. I got a piece of tyvek paper that says I can. Though in my state you can still do that.

Sounds like you did the right thing with that cat.

suavegato

Reaction score
I'm 6'5", approx. 265 lbs., in good shape and well trained... I want NOTHING to do with a cat if I'm unarmed, period! The truth of the matter is, if it were already engaged in attacking someone, like in your story, you might have a chance to grab it's tail and twirl etc. However, if you are by yourself, and it wants you, you will NEVER know what hit you! No warning, No war cry, no nothing! If you aren't knocked unconscious from the blow, you will likely bleed out from the torn open throat... ALL WITHOUT WARNING. Not to mention, Lions have no 1/2 speed or "test bites" etc. They are 100% full bore, full throttle all out attack! WHAM, no second chance, no time to react etc. It's NOTHING like a fight with a human where you square off, feel each other out, circle, and engauge... It's like getting cold cocked when you aren't even looking... Oh, by claws and fangs, not a fist...
NO THANKS!

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
I'm curious to know how many 6'5 265lb dude and in good shape got killed by a 70lb lion before? Honestly, a 70lb cat is one step bigger than a poodle.

Advertisement

Top Bottom