Lion Stalking- Be careful my fellow bowhunters!

suavegato

Reaction score
I don't know but I wouldn't want to find out if it's me... They have "tools" to use, we don't. I.E. teeth & claws... One nick on the jugular (which they target) and we're done! I'm not saying I wouldn't fight back, but EVEN IF I "WIN", I'M STILL GONNA BE TORN UP PRETTY GOOD! My 10 pound house cat has got into me pretty good, no fun. Times 10 Why would I want that? Even IF I survive, at what cost? I'm just saying, it's not a fight I would want to get into and even if I didn't die, It would still be a loss from all of the sure to be wounds. Sure it would make for cool scars but I'll pass. I'd rather just pop a hole in him and walk the other direction, know what I mean?

DirtyDave

Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how many 6'5 265lb dude and in good shape got killed by a 70lb lion before? Honestly, a 70lb cat is one step bigger than a poodle.
70lbs is the size of a large Pit-Bull. You dont want to tangle with that do you? After all its just one step bigger than a Poodle.
That 70lb cat kills deer to survive. No human can stalk up to a deer and kill it with their bare hands/teeth. No human has that kind of stealth or speed. Not saying that you cant fight one off, but I am not going to rely on my hand to hand combat skills against a lion. And my skills aint too bad, but my aim is better.

Last edited:

Kentuck

Reaction score
I would hate to think how many times this has happened to any of us and we never knew it. I've cut lion track in my boot tracks on more than one hunt when backtracking.

cheta

Reaction score
Lion= equals 185grain 10mm , I don't even think this is worth discussing, cats are natures perfect killing machine. If your caught off guard you have a very slim chance. I am not advocating shooting lions but if we are face to face within 50yards, range is hot.

biseger

Reaction score
I've met Mr Luckypants he could take a 70 pounder:boxing:

Turn the story around a little. You are there in the stare down say 45 mins goes by you have tried the rocks, yelling, sticks, ect. Cat wont budge. When is it time to get crazy, crazy enough to save your own life, pull out the animal inside and do or die?

For myself I would rather give it my best and die fighting than let some cat intimidate me into some thought that I am already dead.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I ain't got a problem with folks running around in the woods with handguns, occasionally I do it myself. But if a lion was stalking you and intended to do harm; I doubt your hand would have enough time to touch the sidearm before it was too late.

biseger

Reaction score
There a story on bowsite right now where a guy sees a cat in nevada dailly out of a natural ground blind. After a couple days the cat is on to him and makes a slow charge from 22 yards, he draws and fires hitting it right in the eye at 12 yards. CS it is possiable.

Common Sense

Reaction score
There a story on bowsite right now where a guy sees a cat in nevada dailly out of a natural ground blind. After a couple days the cat is on to him and makes a slow charge from 22 yards, he draws and fires hitting it right in the eye at 12 yards. CS it is possiable.

It is possible, course in the story above we are only hearing one side of the story! Deer have much better vision, hearing, and smell than I do; yet lions eat them daily. Most of the time, you would be in the grasp of the lion before you even knew he was there. Anything is possible, so your handgun might save you, but usually not. Your handgun would probably be more effective against Mexican cartel herb growers armed with AK-47's than against a lion out to get you.

I don't have a problem with folks having handguns; there's nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't offer much protection against big cats. Be aware of your surroundings and alert.

biseger

Reaction score
Everybody just continues the stand off till the cat gets ballsy and attacks?

suavegato

Reaction score
Everybody just continues the stand off till the cat gets ballsy and attacks?
No, I'd go pretty ape shit crazy out of the box... Full aggressive assult from the get go. NEVER showing anything but ALPHA! That's just me though, I'm not sure what "proper protocal" is? For me, most aggressive wins in this situation... Esp. when unarmed and with a smaller cat as in this scenario...

Common Sense

Reaction score
If there is a stand off, a handgun would be very useful. Even if you shoot a handgun as poorly as I do, the cat would run away.

But most people attacked by a cat, never see it coming. In that situation, a firearm doesn't do much good.

The best protection against cats is for the state to allow them to be hunted. If people with guns and dogs are constantly chasing cats, they become incrasingly scared of all people.

I have no problem with people having guns, and I wouldn't turn in someone if I caught them shooting a lion in CA. Personally, I wouldn't shoot a lion on public land when I was deer hunting unless I felt threatened. I did shoot a lion while hunting many years ago when it was legal, but today I wouldn't. Now if I see a cat at the cabin where my grandchildren play on the lawn, I wouldn't need provication to shoot. The only problem is you gotta see it before you can shoot it, and if you are the cat's lunch, you probably won't see it until there are teeth around the back of your neck.

Kit Fox

Reaction score
Three Letters "SSS"
Advocating criminal activity does not meet with the goals of JHO, which advocates fair chase, ethical hunting, and abiding by the laws.

Whenever I head outdoors I always carry my bear spray, and one or two knives. Where it is legal, I also carry my .357.

TonyS

Reaction score
Kit,

Good luck with the scenario I sketched. I'm sure the lions will follow your rules.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Kit,

Good luck with the scenario I sketched. I'm sure the lions will follow your rules.

They probably will. Let's face it, the chances of being attacked by a lion is pretty slim. Far more people get struck by lightening than lions. I often walk thru the woods in lion country unarmed, because I just ain't afraid of the cats. But I never go to SoCal without my .38 in my pocket. I fear people more than critters; and for good reason.

.300Savage

Reaction score
But I never go to SoCal without my .38 in my pocket. I fear people more than critters; and for good reason.
that first part is about right, but the second half is right on the money. My father in lay has been on about every part of the PCT there is over the years and most of that time never packing more than beat spray. However I was talking to him planning a short trip for us next year and he said he won't go on another long hike unarmed and it's not the quadrupeds that have changed his mind.

Kit Fox

Reaction score
Kit,

Thick brush will stop most of your 9mm rounds. Bear Spray has the ability to fog an area. Don't get me wrong, whenever I hike in the forest, I carry my big knife, my bear spray, and my .357 The problem lies in my enjoyment of hiking in certain "gun free" parks. I usually carry my bear spray on my right shoulder strap, the Gerber LMF on my left shoulder strap, and my .357 on my right hip.

If I ever needed to kill a Mtn. Lion in self defense, I can argue that I used a ramped escalation of force.

Richmellott

Reaction score
I have a friend who mountain bikes in the hills, and he has painted eyes on the back of his helmet, to keep the cats at bay. He says the practice originated, of painting eyes on the back of a headdress, in India, to keep away Tigers. He's still alive, so maybe it works.

Advertisement

Top Bottom