Lion Stalking- Be careful my fellow bowhunters!

suavegato

Reaction score
Hey Mr. Luckpants, was this perhaps the story you were recalling? Not exactly as you recalled but has MAN very similar elements... Might be the event you were referencing?

09 April. Peter Bysterveld, a 23-year-old, 210 pound, 6' 3" tall student at Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) in Calgary, was attacked at about 4:30 p.m. MDT by one cougar of a pair he and his friend Sarah McKay encountered while on the last leg of a long hike. It was about 12-15 degrees C (54-59 degrees F) and sunny. Sarah and Peter had been carrying on a conversation but perhaps not loudly enough for the cougars to hear them before they approached where the 2 cougars were sitting among trees some 7 meters (about 22-25 feet) ahead on Windy Point Trail in the Sheep River Wildlife Sanctuary in Kananaskis Country (20 km west of Turner Valley which, in turn, is about 30 km southwest of Calgary).
Once I noticed the cougars off to the side of the trail I began to yell and make some noise. [One of them] then proceeded to run at me. I looked for a rock or stick to defend myself but there was none to be found. So then I proceeded to run down the trail [to] get the cougar away from Sarah.​
As Sarah watched in horror from behind a tree, Bysterveld ran down the hill and lost his footing in a muddy patch at the bottom of the hill.
After I had fallen on my chest, the cougar pounced on the back of my left leg. I had covered up my neck because I thought it would have gone for it instead of my leg. I wrestled with it for awhile, approximately 1 - 2 minutes. When I felt it start to bite into my left calf, I somehow managed to get it off before it sunk its teeth in too far. The cat then looked a little stunned that it had been knocked off.

At this time I got onto my back, with the cougar on its side, and took the opportunity to grab its back 2 hind legs and then its front legs and toss it like a hay bale for about 15-20 feet. I then proceeded to pick up a stick I found and started yelling at the cougar again and waving the stick to make myself look big. The cougar looked at me with what I thought was a surprised look on its face and took a couple of steps towards me. I kept swinging the stick and yelling, and it then backed off and disappeared down in the gully on the side of the trail.

I am not 100% sure how I got a hold of all the cougar's legs. I do have some big hands, and I did grab up a little ways on the leg so it was not right on the paw. I am sure that my hand was not interlocked around the other side. It was just basically enough to get a decent hold that it could not squirm out of and which I could use to toss it away from me quickly. That's about all I really remember because it happened so fast that it just seemed like the best thing to do at the time. I didn't have much time to be scared. I was just trying to survive. I didn't want to be taken down by a cat. I think being bigger helped, and I think he was shocked that I picked him up and threw him.

I then proceeded to walk backwards down the trail for awhile until I was convinced that the cougar was not stalking me. I then ran to catch up to Sarah.

I am still not sure why the cougar attacked, the only reasons I can come up with are that it might have been startled as we came up on it along the path. It could have smelt the lunch meat I had in my backpack, but it was in a sealed plastic bag in the backpack. The last reason I can think of is it might have been really hungry because it had not been able to kill anything lately but, I am not to sure on that one. But I am very sure the cougars were not stalking us at all.​
Reunited with Sarah, the injured Bysterveld, covered in scratches on his arms and the bite to his leg, walked the last 5km back to the car and drove to the ranger station where he called in the attack. Then he drove to the hospital to get checked out. Treatment included a tetanus booster and subsequent rabies shots, as the cougars were not found.

Bysterveld estimated the cougar weighed about 70 pounds, about the size of a small golden retriever. The other cougar was not seen again but seemed about the same weight and age. Wildlife officers closed the area where the attack occurred to track the animals, but as of 04/12/2005 Bysterveld believed the search had been called off.

Sources: (Phone interview with Peter Bysterveld, 04/11/2005 and 2 emails, 04/12/2005 / 4/13/2005) (The Edmunton Sun; Student fights off cougar attack; Nadia Moharib, Sun Media; 04/11/2005) (CBC Edmunton; Hiker fends off cougar; 04/11/2005)

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
No, that wasn't the story but thanks for posting it. I'm sure it was Shannon Parker story but was in a magazine and not posted online. It doesn't matter though because DFG bear will work to make it legal for us to carry a handgun while bow hunting. :)

palladin

Reaction score
No, that wasn't the story but thanks for posting it. I'm sure it was Shannon Parker story but was in a magazine and not posted online. It doesn't matter though because DFG bear will work to make it legal for us to carry a handgun while bow hunting. :)
I lol'd

ZEKEDAWG

Reaction score
If you fear a mtn lion, while you are bowhunting, DON'T GO. PLEASE STAY IN THE CITY WHERE IT IS SAFE.
We live with risk every day. I could walk in front of a bus, but I choose not to and live another day. In all my years and times out in the woods, i have seen or been in verifiable close proximity to a lion 3 times.

I have encountered Mt Lion, while biking. it was a popular trail. Lion was 30 yards off trail and up hill. I threw big rocks and advanced on the tom, easily over 125 lbs. Ran off like a fraidy cat. I hate that lions kill deer, but they gotta live too. They are losing their fear and problems will rise. But advocating breaking the law by carrying a firearm isn't right. Just take a kid and have them hold the gun, but don't touch it, that would be illegal, as long as the kid has a legal license, they can hunt coyotes while you hunt deer. I asked this specific question of the DFG in redding and they agreed that technically it would be legal to do, but they also said you are asking for trouble.

At what point in a stand off do you fear for your life and shoot the lion? to me, when he doesn't response to three aggressive moves to repel the animal, I use deadly force and common sense.

m_freeman

Reaction score
This is an informational and useful thread. DFG_Bear thanks for your contributions.

Recently my wife tivo'd a show about Mt Lion attacks. It basically reported about Vancouver Island, in British Columbia. I don't recall the exact %, but it was large like 80% or 90%, of all known Cougar attacks in North America occurred on VI.
My wife and son were stalked by a cougar on VI scary stuff as up there they attack full grown humans. They went for a short walk down a trail in light sprinkling rain about 5 minutes ahead of me, I came upon the cougar tracks leaving heavy brush and right on top of theirs, I gave a shout out and sped up they were on their way back we met up and looked over the tracks you could see the cat over the top of theirs and she said there were no tracks on the way out. She also said she got a real creepy feeling so she picked up a stick. Now when we hike we all go two or three at a time close together. Also had a weird event near Cuyamaca Mtn in San Diego known for cats. Be careful for sure they are getting more aggressive, makes me wonder about some of these hunters that just disappear in the backcountry.

Last edited:

BuckFinder

Reaction score
Socalhunter, Looks like you have two different lions in those images.
As for the mountain lion encounter spot...I took a buddy in there on the A zone rifle opener and guess what...no lion sighting but my partner shot a great public land buck.

Advertisement

Top Bottom