Little Dry Creek

Darren

Reaction score
Hi I am going to the LDC lottery on the JR hunt and I have only been there with #2 and got a space blind and we got lucky at this pond on the East Side of the area and I was wondering if I could get some help one where to go any info would be great help thanks.                      Darren

MallardHunter

Suspended Account
Reaction score
Darren

First time I posted but I have been reading the chats for awhile, decided to join in.  I would go to the second parking lot, B I think it is called.  And head out all the way to where the free roam borders the last two blinds, I think 9 and 10.  The pond right behind (be carefull of the canals, pay attention to the map and watch for places to cross) those blinds does well.  Lots of grass but a good mallard hole, just find a little puddle and have at it

Fubar

Reaction score
Mallard Hunter  Welcome to Jesses Forum. Glad you decided to join in.              Fubar

Jay

Reaction score
It might be a shorter walk by going out of parking lot 3. Check the map it's a long haul either way.

My son did the Jr. weekend last year at LDC, we were in blind 10......... bazillions of birds.  

Darren

Reaction score
Really Jay did you guys end up with one spec? Because we were there at blind #1 one for saturday junior hunt and the guys next to us were two boys and they shot a spec and the dad took a picture of me and my dad.

(Edited by Darren at 2:11 pm on Jan. 15, 2002)

Jay

Reaction score
My son couldn't hit the side of the barn. Since he's 13 and knows everything in the world he told me he didn't need to practice. It showed.

Last year on the Jr. Saturday there was a biting 25 MPH north wind, the ducks were working so low I could have gotten a limit by reaching up out of the blind and grabbing the birds by their feet!

MallardHunter

Suspended Account
Reaction score
Darren

It is a long walk at LDC, plus the water is deep.  You might want to try SAC or DEL.  I doubt it will fill on the JR hunt day (I worked it a couple of years ago and I think less than 1/2 full) and it has blinds.  It is easier on the kids in those blinds, they can get out of the cold water.

Darren

Reaction score
Thanks mallardhunter but I have done long walks before actually I have hunted ducks the last three years and I started out hunting the lodge jr hunts and such long walk to or fav spot there but I think I have gotten used to it. The water doesnt bother me much I am about 5' 7" so it might not reach me. But this may be a dumb question but do you think the blinds at sac with fill?

Greenhead

Reaction score
While I am not an advocate of blinds, they do have there time and place, and the junior hunt is one of them. If you can, get in a blind. If you can't, I would go to the Lodge. LDC is better hunting, but after having six days off, all of the refuges will shoot well, and you'll have more room to roam at the Lodge than LDC. LDC is top notch, but it's also a war zone, not for the timid. Wherever you go, have a good shoot and enjoy it.

MallardHunter

Suspended Account
Reaction score
Darren

I do not think the blinds will fill.  There are 56, plus or minus, of them out there.  So even if they do fill, no one will be in free roam.  DEL is smaller and flooded so there blinds might fill.  I think 3 years ago when I helped out at SAC on Jr hunt day half the blinds were full and 3 groups in free roam.  Remember also that specs have been closed there since Dec 15 and I think open up for the Jr's.  They are real stupid by then.  At Gray and LDC they have been shot all year.  

SAC starts ressis 2 1/2 hours before shoot time.  You should be able to see how you do in the lottery, see how many ressies show up and if it does not look like you will get a blind, drive to the Lodge.  I do not think the Lodge will fill.

Woodduck

Reaction score
One other area to give a try might be below blinds 1 and 2.  During the season a VERY, VERY popular spot which is often overcrowded.  But for the Junior hunt it will probably not have near the pressure.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom