loads for 7mm rem mag

bukkwylde

Reaction score
Anyone has a load for 7mm rem mag. I'm using RL-22 and Hornady SST's 154 grs. Any data would be appreciated?

Thanks

myfriendis410

Reaction score
RL22 might be a bit slow for that bullet weight, so be sure to use a magnum primer--either Federal or CCI.

I shoot a 160 gr. Nosler Accubond and a Barnes 160 TSX and my load is 64.5 gr. H4831sc using a Federal LRMM. 1/2" for either bullet. Kills 'em dead too; right at 3,000 fps. (2,995 for the Accubond)

Take a look at the Alliant website:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

bukkwylde

Reaction score
MF410,

Should I seat the bullet always at 3.290". This is the standard OAL that Hornady gives. The SST's has a cannelure. I tried a dummy round seating at OAL 3.290" and the rim of the neck did not even reach the cannelure. This makes the cartridge look funky. I then seated at 3.25" which was right on the cannelure. Should I do testing and adjust to higher OAL?

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Test it. But the OAL will very depending upon bullet weight and length.
3.25 to 3.29.
Look for load data with IMR4350 and H4831 as well.
That's what I use in mine.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
You are ultimately limited by the length of your magazine well as to C.O.A.L. I have a Remington 700 that has a loooooong lead and the best I could do was get it about .080" off the lands. This helped dramatically in the accuracy department.

My A Bolt in 7mm RM is loaded to SAAMI specs and it shoots 1/2" to 3/4" with everything I put through it.

I used to use H4831 but went to the short cut 'cause it meters through my Lyman DPS dispenser better with that short stick. I haven't loaded any other powder than that one 'cause it shoots so well--why mess with success. I will recommend you sort your brass by headstamp and hoard all of your Federal stuff--much better than Winchester, and somewhat better than Remington brass. Of course if you are buying brass, go with what you like, but I do like the Nosler custom stuff and you can often get it off their website as seconds for half price.

Tmoniz is correct as well; each bullet will give you a different C.O.A.L. as the ogive is somewhat different--in my experience particularly so with the Hornady bullets compared to Sierra, Nosler etc. The Hornady is a good performing bullet if it shoots accurately in your rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything in North America with their 162 grainer.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom